3. Nieuw Statendam
We sailed with old friends on this brand new ship, which is the nicest I've been on so far (this being my third cruise). The cabins are well laid out with more than enough storage space for our things, with lots of plugs for our electronic devices. The cabin stewards were amazing (thank you Bangbang and Adi) and always greeted us with a smile. As with previous cruises the food was great. But to me the highlight was the entertainment on board, which I found truly a step above what I have seen on other cruises. Dancing, an illusionist, a comedian, and every night some amazing bands (blues, rock, piano). We also loved the pool (which was bigger than I expected) and the hot tubs (2 small and one big). One disappointment was the sea was too rough to tender to Georgetown, Grand Caymen, but that's out of our control and we appreciate that the captain puts safety first. A good amount of the passengers are seniors, so I think it was a smart decision. Although I still heard some people complaining, which some people always do. We got a $50 credit on our account, so I was satisfied. Would definitely book again.

Wonderful time on a beautiful ship

Nieuw Statendam Cruise Review by Travel Nanny

• Sail Date: April 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Standard Interior Stateroom
Travel Nanny’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Nieuw Statendam price drops

Standard Interior Stateroom
Cabin N 8162
Adequate space for our needs, enough to pack away all our stuff, shower is larger than other cruises I've been on. Comfortable beds, lots of plugs for our electronics, nice make up table with light and a mirror.
Beethoven Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Cozumel
    We chose not to book a tour, and had no regrets. There was lots of shopping near the dock, and a few restaurants, so we walked around, shopped and then stopped for some marguaritas with guacamole and chips. Perfect. Got a great deal on a bottle of Appleton Rum at the duty-free here .. 1 litre bottle of Appleton Signature Blend for $18.00 USD. That's half what I pay in Canada even with the exchange.
    View All 6,703 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cozumel Cruise Port Review
  • Everglades Tour
    We chose this excursion for our last day, because we disembarked at 8:30 AM and our flight home didn't leave until 8 PM. We are glad we did because it was a very interesting tour and we had never been to Fort Lauderdale before. We were one of the first off the ship because we were on this excursion, and the bus was waiting for us, and took all of our luggage so we could enjoy the day. We visited the Sawgrass Recreation Park, which included an air boat ride through the Everglades grass lands, where we saw several large alligators. Wow. Then we visited their exhibits, where we saw more alligators up close, held a baby alligator, and learned more about the animals this sanctuary has rescued. At the end the bus took us right to the airport. Well worth a trip.
    View All 124 Everglades Tour Reviews
  • Half Moon Cay
    One the nicest beaches I've seen, just gorgeous. Relaxed on a chair and swam in the crystal clear, aqua water. My only complaint is it was HOT with very little shade. We decided not to book an excursion for that reason, and we just went for a few hours and then returned to the ship.
    View All 1,186 Half Moon Cay Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Half Moon Cay Cruise Port Review
  • Ocho Rios
    We picked this tour because we did not want face a 3 hour bus ride and be gone all day. Plus we are in our 60's and didn't want anything too strenuous. This tour was perfect because it gave us a short taste of Jamaica. This is a 4 hour tour in the morning, in and around the city of Ocho Rios. Really had fun!! We started off with a traditional Jamaican meal at Miss T's kitchen ... please note this is at about 9:30 AM so it's a good idea to have a light breakfast. Then we visited Margaritaville where we had a mixology competition and Reggae dance lessons, a shout out to Shantel and Mini who made it a lot of fun. Then we tasted some Jerk chicken at Scotchies (famous) and then to a gift shop to buy some rum cake and jerk spice or whatever you want in the way of souvenirs. Thanks to Germaine our tour guide for making us laugh! Highly recommended especially for anyone with disabilities who can't climb up Dunn Falls.
    View All 12,995 Ocho Rios Cruise Port Reviews