3. Norwegian Getaway
I was looking for a quick last-minute mini-break, so this 4 day cruise was ideal and priced right for me, a single traveler from the New York area. One day at sea - one day in Bermuda - one day at sea. There was some confusion about boarding times by those who booked early, but that didn't affect me, since I booked a few days prior to sailing. I walked onto the ship with no wait. However, this was likely due to the fact that the ship had no passengers to disembark upon arrival. Norwegian sells hard from the moment you get on board. Nearly everything is at an upgrade and added fee. If that makes you feel ill-at-ease, this is not the line for you. The staff is courteous and efficient, but due to the large numbers, there's always one or two still training and inexperienced. The Getaway is a very large ship and when fully booked (4,000 passengers) it can be chaotic - especially during the 'muster' / boat drill. The ship also attracts many non-English speaking people which can sometimes cause confusion and conflict due to the lack of communication possible. This is a fact, not a problem. Patience is needed at all times on a big ship like this. For first timers to Bermuda, I highly recommend the bus tour of the full island. It takes five hours and visits St. George and Hamilton and everything in between. Guides / drivers are knowledgeable, friendly, and funny. I wish it were not raining nearly the whole time, but this is in mother nature's hands, so we made the best of it. My only complaint is that since it was an atypical trip length, there were all sorts of omissions and errors, especially in the Freestyle Daily newsletter. A happy mistake was that they charged us too much for port taxes and refunded them in onboard credit. The ship docked in Bermuda and it was 45 minutes before the first announcement about the arrival - and that was to inform us that the ship was not yet cleared. When a ship arrives - an announcement of status should be made immediately to avoid confusion.

Short (and Stormy) but Sweet

Papermoon4’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Family Inside Stateroom
Cabin I1 13453
Yes, it is small, especially considering it sleeps four! Four children, perhaps, but please don't think of bunking four people in this tiny space. You will be miserable. I was just one and found it adequate. Happily, the bathroom was larger than some of the balcony rooms I have booked. If you are a single or couple, and want the beds pushed together, be warned that the bunks fold up against the wall, but protrude out about a foot making passage around the bed difficult for all but the most agile person. Have the beds pushed to together to ONE SIDE - opposite the vanity table for ease of getting in and out of bed without an accident.

TIPS: Remember to close the closet door before tucking yourself into bed. If you leave it open it obscures half the TV.
Bring something to mark your cabin door. With so many rooms, and a five digit number to remember, it can be exhausting searching for the right cabin. On a four day cruise, by the time I learned it, we were home.
In rocky seas, you might want to put your clothes on the hangers or take them down completely. They rattle when the ship rocks too much!
LOCATION! LOCATION! LOCATION! My cabin was near the ice machine, so the sound of cubes descending was audible every so often. If you are an older adult who wants a quiet journey - do NOT get a cabin near Splash Academy. Children cannot resist the temptation to use the loooooooooong corridors as a racetrack and it can be clearly heard wherever you are. Towel animals are now by request only - to conserve on energy from the laundering. Same with ice - if you require it regularly - make sure to tell your steward.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Island Tour
    Five hours. Comfortable bus - one side has just one seat for shutterbugs. Several stops including Gibbs Lighthouse, a rest stop overlooking the ocean, St. George, and Hamilton - where we got tickets for the ferry back to the dockyard. WW (Wycliffe) our driver / guide was immensely personable, very knowledgeable, and showed great care for our comfort and safety. A native Bermudan, he taught me a lot about his home!
    View All 102 Island Tour Reviews