Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review
2,315 Reviews

Specialty dining not worth the cost

Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by John_and_Amanda

• Sail Date: Apr 2019
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Spacious Ocean View Balcony

This was my 8th cruise and first time on the Navigator. Overall, it was a great ship with a great crew. The ship is very similar to the Independence and Freedom of the Seas, which I've sailed on before and thoroughly enjoyed.

Lets start with the good:

- The Ice show. This was fantastic and shouldn't be missed. They have a coordinated light show using drones as part of the show and it's amazing.

- The guitar singer in the Windjammer singing "washy washy" songs. Haven't seen this on any other ships, and it always brought a smile to hear the days rendition of some song converted to a "wash your hands" song. Loved it.

- Cruise director and staff were very energetic and funny.

- Balloon drop at midnight on the first night of the cruise. I've done a New Years eve cruise and this reminded me of that scene. It was really cool.

This was the first cruise where I decided to try the specialty dining as I've always been impressed with the MDR food, so was looking forward to seeing how much better the food would be. I tried Chops and Jamie's Italian restaurants. Chops was decent, but this was no where near as good as it should have been for the price. I was expecting something along the lines of a Morton's steakhouse or Ruth's Chris quality, but it really wasn't even close...more like an Outback experience. It was good, but not worth the extra money.

We had a similar experience at Jamie's, though it was even more of a disappointment. Never been to an Italian restaurant where they didn't play Italian music...instead they're playing some pop/techno stuff, that just didn't fit. I've also never been to an Italian restaurant where they don't immediately serve you bread along with some form of spread. Instead, Jamie's has some different breads as part of the appetizer menu. Also the waitress seems to over explain everything. I appreciated her knowledge, but it got to the point where we just wanted her to shut up and let us eat. The staff was wearing jeans and flannel shirts...not sure how this is Italian themed, but maybe I'm not hipster enough to get it. The desserts were hit and miss...the lemon meringue cheese cake was wonderful, the tiramisu was lacking and short of any coffee flavor.

I didn't get a chance to do the escape room. It wasn't open on our last sea day so you'll want to get in early so you don't miss that. Also, one night there was an even on the cruise planner for "Stargazing on the helipad". We weren't sure what would be involved with this but assumed it would have some crew lead event of sort. Nope, it was just a bunch of people on the helipad at night, all wondering what was going on.

Overall, it was a great cruise and I would definitely go on it again

John_and_Amanda's Full Rating Summary

Spacious Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 6B 8534

Typical cabin. TVs have on-demand movies for $12 a pop...no thanks. The balcony privacy was limited as the dividers were practically see thru.

Nassau

It's Nassau. Hop off the boat and get a drink at Senior Frogs

Labadee

Bunch of trash in the water as the boat is docking. Made me wish we had a skimmer to clean up the garbage in the bay. Shame that they don't clean it better. The beaches are a little rocky so bring water shoes. Good beach day

John_and_Amanda