3. Viking Orion
Since we were so happy with our Viking River Cruise we figured that we could expect the same overall quality and amount of personal attention if we elected to do an ocean cruise with them. This was not necessarily correct. While Viking's amenities, food, housekeeping, etc., etc were as good as other cruise lines, there was nothing on this cruise that made it any better than say a Norwegian or Holland America cruise. An exception to the above is that Viking does offer an "included" excursion at every port. We were very impressed with the "Pre-Cruise" stay at the Maya Hotel in Ubud (Bali) and with the Shangri-La in Bangkok. The hotels and tours (especially the floating market) were outstanding. I think everyone agreed that the 2 days at Jakarta should be dropped. Singapore would be an excellent 2 day port. Jakarta's air quality was about as good as the burn pits we experienced in Iraq. As for on-board dining , I for one would like to see a Pasta Station and a Stir-Fry station where one would be able to interact more with the preparation of the dish. Essentially, at those stations, the chef simply plates the food after warming it in a skillet. There are few choices in what gets plated. Also, I was not impressed with the supervisor in the World Cafe who verbally abused one of the young ladies about her job performance right in front of us. Definitely bad for business! And last of all, Viking cheated us out of $250.00 on-board credit. We were supposed to have $250 each - I checked with our travel agent just today to make sure- but only had $250 total. That alone makes me think that my future sailings will be with other lines.

Bali to Bangkok on Viking Orion

Viking Orion Cruise Review by skybird564@gmail.com

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Asia

skybird564@gmail.com’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Orion price drops

Standard for the industry. Chairs were not comfortable - recommend a love seat instead. One excellent thing about the cabin was the availability of 110 volt, 60 cycle electricity - the best I have seen on a ship. Another plus was the availability of soft drinks and water in the mini-bar at no extra charge. The cabin stewards were excellent and very knowledgeable and helpful.

• Bali Heritage Sites
    Great tour guide and excellent choice of destinations. Be careful at the Ubud Puri Museum. Steep stairs covered with moss and no handrails.
    View All 21 Bali Heritage Sites Reviews
  • City Tour
    A beautiful city with an excellent tour guide. The Train Market and the Floating Market were quite impressive. The lunch was outstanding.
    View All 40 City Tour Reviews
  • City Tour
    Kuala Lumpur is another great location. The town is exceptional and the tour included a broad cross-section. Larry - the tour guide - was THE best we had on the entire cruise.
    View All 32 City Tour Reviews
  • Botanic Gardens
    Singapore is a jewel in paradise. The orchid collection at the Botanic Gardens was exceptional! I loved Singapore.
    View All 26 Botanic Gardens Reviews