3. Norwegian Spirit
At times we wondered if this was their first time putting on a cruise. A total amateur effort. Memory dump follows. Start with the highlights: Cagney steaks and aerial act in theater. Drinks: We elected for the dining and drinks packages. Still had to endure nickel & diming upcharges. Their wine list by the glass is lacking good bubbles and full bodied reds; exactly what you need at a steak house. They had 3 prices for a glass of Veuve Cliquot champagne, depending who you asked. The drinks package adds a service charge of 20% and assumes $99/day worth of drinks each!!! Some bartenders were talented and generous, others need to be trained. Champagne Charlie's doesn't have anything to offer that's not found on other menus. The bartender said it was really a martini bar. Coffee packets in the room actually tasted (slightly) better than the coffee at Raffles. It would have been nice for the cabin steward to replenish them regularly. Food: With few exceptions, the food was bad to average. A few very good steaks at Cagney's. Le Bistro is not worth it. Main/Windows at time was terrible. Overall, it was like eating at Applebee's. We did not gain weight on this cruise because it just wasn't tempting. Every time you come near Raffles you hear "washy-washy" and they spray at you (yes, at you) with a disinfectant! I don't want that on my hands when I'm eating pastry in the morning. One employee got nasty with me for declining. Excursions: We missed our day in Grasse because they couldn't get us off the boat in time in Cannes. We were told it's their first time in Cannes. Embarkation security didn't have a problem with my water bottle. Disembarkation on the last day was total chaos. Most people didn't know what was going on. Just get on the NCL shuttle bus to train. Facilities: * Men's steam room out of order on the day I tried. * A pool jacuzzi was barely warm on the day we tried it. * Library closed early on day at sea. * Lots of boat motion because Spirit is small. * ATM only dispenses US dollars. Why would I need that in Europe? I needed eye drops due to the smoky air near some elevators (not just near casino). Medical office wanted $149 to see the Dr and get drops. Didn't bother to tell me the gift shop sells Visine (12Euro). Dr (or nurse?) was right there at the desk! We got our daily gratuities reimbursed and I personally tipped those who had earned it: cabin steward David and waiter Emilio at Cagney's. No washy-washy tip. This was only our third cruise so maybe we were spoiled on the Millennium. Is it NCL or just this tacky little boat?

Disappointing low-end cruise, smoky, bad food. Spirit's 1st ever voyage?!

Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by MontyPuddin

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Start with the highlights: Cagney steaks and aerial act in theater.

Drinks:

Food:

Excursions:

Embarkation security didn't have a problem with my water bottle.

Facilities:

* Men's steam room out of order on the day I tried.

* A pool jacuzzi was barely warm on the day we tried it.

* Library closed early on day at sea.

* Lots of boat motion because Spirit is small.

* ATM only dispenses US dollars. Why would I need that in Europe?

This was only our third cruise so maybe we were spoiled on the Millennium.

Is it NCL or just this tacky little boat?
MontyPuddin’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Spirit price drops

Balcony
Cabin BD 9516
Tacky decor like the rest of the ship. Occasionally the toilet would not flush for about 20 minutes or would spontaneously flush. Is this normal?

Messy hallways filled with carts, garbage bags, ice chests. Looked like a slum.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins