3. Nieuw Statendam
This was my first cruise back on Holland America after many years of going on Princess. I wanted to try out the lovely brand new Nieuw Statendam on a pretty affordable itinerary. Embarkation: We arrived about 10:30 to the port. Very easy, no lines, started boarding at 11:30. Rooms were ready pretty quickly I remember hearing but we were out and about exploring. Luggage arrived by 2:00. Muster is nice now without having to bring your life jacket. Cabin: We had initially booked an inside guarantee for the affordability factor. Knowing there were so many great places to be out and about, it was about saving money on this one. Two days before boarding we were upgraded to a VQ spa balcony! What an absolute pleasure this was! The room was so lovely in decor. Tons of storage and a really big shower with excellent water pressure and hot water. The balcony was really nice sized. There is some noise from the rooms next door if you are a quiet sleeper. We were a hop skip and a jump from the lido and a few steps above the spa. win/win! Our room stewards were an absolute delight. Food: We ate in the Lido most breakfasts and lunches. The food was always good. There is a made to order pasta bar that was a real treat. Service was always prompt and friendly at the table with drinks. We went to Tamarind one night which was outstanding. The food, ambiance and service all top notch. Canaletto was also a really nice, affordable treat on our last evening. We had one Pinnacle Grill dinner and the service was horrible. Food was good, but the service really soured the memory. We went to the Dive In for a burger one day and I didn't really care for it but it seemed very popular to others. Grand Dutch Cafe had excellent coffee and snacks and a really pretty place to sit. We only ate in the main dining room during the Mariner's Lunch and I will say it was the best meal we had all week! If you have an invite to this lovely event do not miss it. Spa: We booked the week long pass and took advantage of the saunas and hydro pool. The hydro pool was really nice but when people use the jets in the middle it can spray you in the face. kind of an odd set up. But still fabulous I would book it again in a heart beat. There's a nice horizontal shower, a great dry sauna. The thermal beds are right in front of/kind of same room as showers so that can distract from the quiet. But again, it wasn't enough to not like it. Had a fabulous mani pedi and my friend had a few massages. Everything was excellent. Do watch your bill though. The pricing specials can get a little confusing and there was some misunderstanding going on with exact pricing. Entertainment: All of the music that goes on in Lincoln Stage and BB Kings was excellent. We didn't get a chance to see any of the shows otherwise. The movies at night that were shown by the pool had excellent sound and clarity, and you could get all kinds of good treats while you watched. Highlights: The Explorations Cafe is really nice place for a drink or a coffee with little pastries, and there's also delicious free fruit smoothies. It's just a nice inviting space. The Behind the Scenes ship tour is now being offered on this ship. It isn't exactly cheap but it gives you a really great look at the Bridge, engineering, the galley, the theater and a few other fun stops. It ended with a drink and great conversation with the Cruise Director and a gift bag. This happens on the final sea day. Overall impression of the ship: It's gorgeous top to bottom. The layout is a little bit disjointed as things on port are not the same on starboard which can get you a little bit lost. But the ship isn't huge so it doesn't take a long time to figure things out. I will say what stands out the most is customer service. Top to bottom, all the way up to the Captain, it was the best service I've ever experienced in all my years of cruising.

Amazing Vacay!!

Food:

Spa:

Entertainment:

Highlights:

Overall impression of the ship:

trystran72’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Nieuw Statendam price drops

Verandah Spa Stateroom
Cabin VQ 10038
Light, very pretty and lots of storage. Great TV and turndown service. Stewards were OUTSTANDING!
Panorama Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins