Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by mikea265

• Sail Date: Mar 2019
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

We chose this cruise last minute for our spring break. The ship was at full capacity, but from the beginning it felt like we left half the crew in New Orleans. As a result there were many times throughout the cruise where you could feel the tension and stress the crew was dealing with having to serve a full capacity ship all week. I heard this same complaint of understaffing from many others as well.

Our stateroom Butler was terrible. He found three pieces of our luggage and said he would look for the fourth. At almost ten that night I had to call guest services to finally retrieve our missing luggage. He rarely smiled, got agitated when I would cover the sofa bed from bed to sofa during the day for a place to sit, and just seemed like he hated his job. Made out experience that much worse.

I thought the food got better as the week went on, but had better food on Carnival Cruises. I really thought there buffet food was the best I've had! There were lots of activities, with water slides, arcade, rope course and Zipline, and much more. The shows were entertaining and the comedians were funny so all was well there too.

We really loved Cozumel! Playa Azul is a free local beach right down from the dock and it has a pool, bar/restaurant, and a large Cabana. You can also snorkel off the dock right there! But the best place by far was on the other side of the island which you can reach by cab or renting a vehicle. Playa de San Martin... The most beautiful beach I have EVER seen!! It will be the first and last place we visit from now while at Cozumel!

We didn't really care for the private island in Belize... Too many people! But there are some fun things to do and a giant pool with walk up bar.

Costa Maya was fun, but our time was limited, so it was hard to relax there. Going into town where the local beaches are is a must! Don't get trapped at the shops right where you get off the boat!

Our days at Sea were uneventful and the crew seemed to have things under control. There was a brief stoppage to repair the boat at one time, but it seemed to be handled quickly.

It takes A LONG time to get out to sea from New Orleans! It seemed like it took hours to get from the Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico.

Lastly, I feel like Norwegian nickel and dime you for everything on the cruise! Arcade games are not included and are way overpriced. Drinks are overpriced and they skimp on the alcohol. You have to pay extra for the steam room and sauna which was ridiculous to me.

I will be cruising with Carnival again from here on out.

mikea265's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BD 9908

Cabin was a standard balcony room and was clean and well organized.

New Orleans

Fun times with great food, but not kid friendly

Went to a free local beach just down from the main Port and rented a Jeep and went to Playa de San Martin in the other side of the island ... AMAZING!!

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Harvest Caye

Didn't really care for this private island, but there are things to do.

mikea265