3. Norwegian Escape
Almost 20 years ago we went on our first and only cruise until now, a Norwegian ship out of NYC. The ships were smaller then than they are today and we were much younger than the average guest. It was okay, our young daughter loved it, but we were mostly bored and had no interest in cruising again until recently. Now, empty-nesters in our early 50s/late 40s, we began looking at cruising again as a way to see more of the world. We first booked a very port-intensive European cruise with NCL that is still 2 months in the future as I write this. We were telling our friends about this and on a whim the 4 of us decided to book a cruise on the Escape just a few weeks before sailing. The port in NY is very convenient for us to drive to, so it is perfect for a quick getaway. We booked side-by-side spa balcony rooms on the 15th floor. We all loved our rooms and our balconies, and the location was perfect! Overall, we really enjoyed the cruise and wouldn’t hesitate to book it again. It was a great way to get away to warm sunshine from the cold New England weather! The food was excellent! We made reservations for 3 specialty restaurants (Tepanyaki, Bayamo, Cagneys). Loved them all but the food in the complimentary restaurants was just as good. We never made reservations for these and were always seated immediately. The only restaurant we didn’t care for was O’Sheehans. We had lunch there twice. The food was just so-so and the service was terribly slow. We ate breakfast in the buffet a couple of times, and went there for snacks in between meals. The food was good, but it was always crowded and noisy so we preferred the other restaurants . We were more interested in relaxing than entertainment and spent a lot of time talking on our balcony with drinks, watching the water. So relaxing! My husband and I enjoyed the spa several times. I would definitely book the spa again for a cruise like this one (lots of sea days out of a port where it was cool) but probably not for more port intensive cruises and probably not in warmer weather either. We were often in bed pretty early by choice, but my husband and I had fun watching some of the shows in the atrium and really enjoyed the musicians who played in the Tobacco Road bar and the Brewhouse. The dueling piano show was outstanding. I sat and watched them for 4+ hours one night and wouldn’t hesitate to go again! Choir of Men was fantastic! A definite don’t miss! The only disappointment was the comedy show, because we never got to see one. But that was our fault. We didn’t have reservations and when we did decide to watch one spur of the moment, the standby line was way too long, so we didn’t wait. My two main suggestions: More chairs in the atrium. Or else hold those events in a place with more capacity. We would have enjoyed more of the shows there, but could never get a seat, so we’d watch until we got tired of standing and then move on. Second, I wish there was a third bank of elevators. It got annoying waiting for elevators sometimes. Finally, we didn’t get to the private island which I understand happens frequently. This was disappointing because that was the ONE highlight of our trip 20 years ago and we were really looking forward to it. Such is life. We adapted and still had fun. Overall, very happy we booked this cruise and really looking forward to our next!

Fun escape from cold winter weather!

Norwegian Escape Cruise Review by michelle-nh

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Spa Balcony Stateroom

michelle-nh’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Escape price drops

Spa Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B9
Loved our room! Clean, comfortable, and plenty of storage space. We’ll never cruise again without a balcony.
Deck 15 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Nassau
    Booked a rum tour with a local guide. It was great. We really enjoyed it. Along with lots of rum drinks and snacks we learned a lot about the history and culture in the Bahamas and the walking tour brought us to all sorts of interesting sites we wouldn’t have found on our ow. Highly recommended!
    View All 13,002 Nassau Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Nassau Cruise Port Review
  • Port Canaveral (Orlando)
    We booked a private kayaking excursion. The local company owner dropped off kayaks and water bags for us and we went out and enjoyed kayaking in the Banana River Park. We kayak at home so didn't feel a need for a guide. We had taken an Uber to the park. The only thing I wish is that it had been suggested to us to stop on the way for drinks. We had nothing and had assumed we could buy drinks at the park, but there was nothing there or anywhere nearby. The sun came out and it was HOT and we were thirsty, so we had to cut our kayaking short. We locked up the kayaks as instructed and called an Uber for a ride back to the port. So if you are reading this and think you might be interested, just be sure to ask your driver to stop at a store on the way. It will make your day so much more enjoyable!
    View All 13,002 Port Canaveral (Orlando) Cruise Port Reviews