River Tosca Cruise Review by LoveTravellingtlt
- Sail Date: January 2019
- Destination: Middle East
- Cabin Type: Grand Suite
The sights were spectacular and we met lots of nice people. A couple of things you should know if you are looking at this trip.
- The Abu Simbel trip was not $295 as we were told before the trip, but $324. This is a must trip.
- As River Heritage Club members, we each received complimentary laundry, although we were told by the Uniworld L.A. office that we would not.
- The Egyptian wine served on the ship was not drinkable. We met a Canadian passenger who managed to get some South African wine served for the three of us. Not sure how she did that, but we were not going to say no. The South African wine was at least drinkable. Uniworld really should be able to have better wines, but I understand we were in an Arab country…
- The Uniworld staff couldn’t have been nicer!
- The Springs Tours staff were OK, but not the quality of the Uniworld staff.
- Our egyptologist(Hani) was wonderful...Gracious, kind, knowledgable and very patient.
- The River Tosca was old, but very clean. Cabins were huge…although Uniworld’s ships in Europe are much nicer. We heard the River Tosca will be replaced next year.
- Suggestions to Uniworld:
> Make the 4 days of the Cairo touring at the beginning or at the end of the cruise; 2 days in Cairo on each end of the trip was too much flying back and forth.
> The “wake-up” hours were not reasonable (one morning we had to get up at 2:30a.m. to catch a flight). Many days had an unreasonable wake-up time causing us to not have a proper breakfast(a box breakfast on the bus). Don't know why this is. Perhaps all companies in the region have these unreasonable hours.
- The Four Seasons was fabulous. We were in beautiful rooms facing the Nile. We had room service lunch on the balcony one day. Staff were wonderful.
- The air in Egypt, especially Cairo, is extremely polluted.
- Be prepared for lots of litter.
- January temperatures were perfect for us. Never too hot.
You just need to be aware of what you are getting into. We had read CruiseCritic reviews and sort of knew what to expect, but we naively thought Uniworld would have corrected these issues by the time we took the trip.
All in all this is a fabulous trip and we are so happy that we were able to see the wonderful sights before we leave this world. Uniworld is a top notch cruise company. I would have given the trip a 5 star, but when compared to Uniworld's European cruises, I had to give it a 4 star rating.
250,000+ people have entered their email