3. Nieuw Statendam
This was my first time on Holland America and it will be my last. Not because of anything the cruise line did but because of the caliber of cruiser on board. If you are a senior citizen, you will love this cruise, it seems to be geared more toward an older crowd. Shipboard activities leaned towards retirees I think. Games were bridge, majong and bingo. We played team trivia one day only to not play it again. The old crotchety lady who joined us and 2 other older cruisers, complained and shushed and berated us the whole time for being too loud and giving other teams the opportunity to hear our answers. And, she didn't contribute a single answer just bitched to us about,,"that's probably not right" Hello, our team got 12 out of 15 no thanks to her. The ship itself is absolutely beautiful, the artwork throughout the ship is sublime and we were always finding something new tucked away in another area of the ship. I am not sure if this is the norm for HAL but there were an awful lot of cruisers who were pushy, entitled, elitist and generally rude on our sailing. I saw several times where people with walkers or wheelchairs pushed there way into an already crowded elevator and push a floor several floors away so that the people already on the elevator had a difficult time getting off. When asked to let them through, the former, scoffed and got upset as though they were the only one on the elevator and it was for their own private use. I also witnessed at least once a day, someone berating or belittling the staff with very stupid and rude questions at the Lido Market. One lady got mad at the pasta server saying" Do you even know what your doing? You ARE going to cook that?!" Even the older gentleman in front of me rolled his eyes at the comment and said that "These are the things that give my wife and I comic relief over the next few months." The staff on board went above and beyond with their kindness and generosity and overall friendliness when ever you came across them. Half Moon Cay was gorgeous but...there were 2 HAL ships there on the same day and probably around 3000 people on the beach. Too overcrowded. If it hadn't been so overcrowded I would have spent the entire time on shore instead of just an hour. America's Test Kitchen was a fun experience and I wish they would would do it everyday instead of just twice during the cruise. Entertainment wise- the dance troupe I felt did a beautiful job, the magician was very funny and the comedian was not. I was disappointed with the Main Dining Room food. I felt that the 2 times I went there my seafood and poultry were both way overcooked and under seasoned. My creme brulee (my favorite) did not have a hard shell and barely any sugar to make it the hard shell. Tamarind is a must to anyone going on this ship. It was delicious and the servers and staff went above and beyond to make it the best dining experience we had the whole time.

Ship was beautiful but not my cup of tea

Nieuw Statendam Cruise Review by Jessandme

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Large Oceanview Stateroom

Jessandme’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Nieuw Statendam price drops

Large Oceanview Stateroom
Cabin C 1109
The cabin was very spacious and accommodated myself and 2 adult children with room to spare. Lots of places to hold everything we brought. On past cruises I brought an over the door shoe holder to have extra room and I definitely did not need that for this cabin. Bathroom was large and shower was wonderful, not cramped at all. Beds were very comfortable. My son slept on the "sofa bed" and he is 6'2". It was a little bit cramped but he said he was comfortable and fit on it well enough. The queen size bed is 2 smaller beds pushed together and the only way you could tell was there was a small trough running down the middle. My only complaint would have to be there is not much flat surface in the room for a room service tray if you are like us and had the desktop filled with paraphernalia. We were kind of messy in that regard. They do have a small table maybe 18" square that works fine for a tray though. The window is quite large and the view was relaxing.
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins