3. Royal Clipper
I have been on Star Flyer twice and when the no solo supplement was offered last year I decided to try this larger ship knowing that the routine would be familiar. I am not a sailor but I think we all tire of the large cruise ships and the usual ports so getting in private small towns and beaches appealed to me. Once on board I found the large expanse of upper deck appealing with more shade available and more room to relax compared to the Star Flyer. I had inside cabin (216) and it is small with only one closet with another drawer under the bed but for one person adequate. Ship is beautiful with brass, beautiful wood work and library has fireplace that glows for ambiance altho few people go into library. Food is very good to my tastes and I am no food critic but the fish they offer is excellent, only tip I have is to avoid 2 hour meals asked to be seated at smaller table than 8 to avoid this altho some enjoy their wine and the ambiance of the dining experience. Breakfast and lunch are buffet with different theme and one day they did a beach BBQ on Tobago cay which was amazing. Only negative is the buffet is in smaller area than on Star Flyer which makes for a traffic jam between the hot dishes and salads and fruit. They also set out some snacks at 5-6 PM which is welcome since dinner does not start until 7:30 PM. Joanna and Jerry provided music in afternoon and at night and were great, I really enjoyed them and listened a lot to their music. Crew is wonderful and ready to help at all times. Bar prices are reasonable and I am a beer drinker and was surprised to find they had Carib as the last two Flyer cruises I was on in the Caribbean did not have any island beers and altho they ran out half way thru the cruise I was hoping this will be a change on their cruises in Caribbean next year. Most days we made two stops in morning and afternoon it seems to let excursions go out and then a beach type stop in the afternoon. I found the morning stops less than exciting as I did no excursions but truly loved each afternoon stop and wanted to stay longer. The ship does move but I guess I am getting used to the motion and only two nights did I notice more movement. Passengers were a mix of UK, Canada, US, and others but most were very friendly and welcomed me at dinner as a solo which is appreciated. I was asked which ship I prefer since I had now sailed both and that is truly hard to say, I guess my first experience is important and think if I was on a 7 day trip I prefer Star Flyer and if I was on 14 day trip I would prefer Royal Clipper especially is you had days at sea like the Panama Canal trip. I enjoyed this cruise again and I finally saw the Green Flash which makes this a special cruise to me.

TIme to try Royal Clipper

Royal Clipper Cruise Review by elklemi

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Caribbean
elklemi’s Full Rating Summary
Get Star Clippers Royal Clipper price drops

cabin was small with only one closet, tv but really not many channel options and mostly stayed on deck.
  Royal Clipper Deck Plans