3. Nieuw Statendam
Being as this was my first ever cruise, I don't have much to compare it to, other than my expectations..... Embarkation: Slow. We had wine in our carry-on's so had to stop at the table to have them "reviewed" and listed. Once through there we went into the check-in desk area. That took forever! We had 4 of us in a cabin with 1 person having made the reservation. For some reason they could not figure out how to separate our bills so that each of us were using our own credit card for on-board charges, etc. We checked in on-line two weeks prior to the cruise and gave our credit card info there. After spending 20 minutes working on this at the check in counter they STILL were charging the one girl's credit card for all of us in the cabin. Finally after two more visits to guest services on the ship, after our 4th day at sea, they figured it out and we were able to view our on-board spending on our own separate accounts. Whew! Cabin: For having 4 grown adults (women) in one cabin (ocean view), it was surprisingly un-crowded (is that a word?). Our cabin steward came in twice a day, cleaned, put the couch back in the morning and pulled down the upper bunk each evening. We did ask for extra blankets a couple times and both times they were provided. We had the room with the extra shower/sink area which was nice for when all of us were getting ready at the same time for dinner, etc. We were on Deck 1 so we did a lot of walking up stairs/elevator rides to get anywhere. Also, by the end of the week, there was a horrible sewage stench throughout our hallway. Tried to ignore it but it was bad. Food: We mostly ate on the Lido deck with the exception of two dinners in the MDR (both gala nights) and one dinner at the specialty Italian restaurant. The food in the Lido was okay, mostly ate there out of convenience. Personally I felt it was a bit bland and just didn't have a whole lot of flavor. I found myself using much more salt than I normally would. Breakfast was better than lunch or dinner there. Made-to-order omelettes and crepes were great and they did have a lot of variety. Service in the Lido was very good and the call buttons on the tables were nice. First dinner I had in the MDR was not to my liking (fish dish), second dinner was an Asian noodle dish which was very good. Service in my opinion was slow. We had to wait quite a while between courses. Waiters were all very friendly and attentive though and we never had to wait for a table (Anytime dining). Dinner at the Italian restaurant again was just "okay", nothing special. But for $15/person it was worth it and a nice change from the Lido food. Entertainment: OMG!! This is where I think my expectations may have ruined it for me. I always thought that cruises were supposed to be fun and everyone was happy and having a good time and there was so much to do on a ship, there wasn't enough time to do it all. Not this ship. There was literally nothing for us to do. To be fair, the only "show" we checked out was the comedian who end up being more of a magician (yawn). We tried so hard to find fun on this boat, it just wasn't there. The Billboard's music trivia was the only entertainment we found fun and that was only for a half hour each evening. Unless you wanted to take a Microsoft class or learn how to enhance your photos or play Bridge at 4:00 in the afternoon, there was nothing to do! I'm not kidding when I tell you this boat was filled with mostly 80 somethings (I'm a 40 something). We were playing "geriatric Bingo" to entertain ourselves. Spot a walker, check, spot an oxygen tank, check, spot a rascal (or 10), check. The aft pool on the Lido deck was labeled adult only, which made me laugh because really, there were about 10 kids on this entire boat. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone and all the kids had been removed from the planet. We would be in awe to spot a teenage girl and think "oh look, poor thing, she must be bored out of her gourd. And the hot tubs...well they were more like bathtubs. Personal hot tubs at home are bigger than these things! What were they thinking? We got in one with an 80+ year old couple and the woman gave us the dirtiest look and got up and left. We asked her husband, "was it something we said?", he replied, "no, more like what you did", then he got up and left....what? How rude! Not our fault these things are so small! Didn't know we were supposed to take a number. And unless you got up at the crack of dawn and put a towel on a chair by the pool to save it, you were screwed. To be fair, I've heard this happens on most cruise ships. Not cool! Excursions: These were our saving grace! HMC was the most beautiful place I've been to. Loved every bit of it. Did a kayak excursion around the lagoon, had a nice lunch provided by HAL and then enjoyed the beach. All of the chairs were taken by the time we got there but we didn't care. We grabbed a beer (or 2) at the bar and stood in the water the whole time. Ochos Rios, Jamaica was a blast too. We did the tram/bobsled/zip-line at Mystic Mountain. Fun!! First time on a zip-line. Scary but exhilarating! No excursion planned in Georgetown, Grand Cayman so took a taxi ($6/person) to 7 Mile Beach and parked ourselves there for the day. Nice beach, had lunch at the beach bar. Met a couple from the Carnival Vista who were having a riot on their boat. They told us all bout the hysterical comedians, table-top shuffle-boards, corn-hole, dance bars! We were telling them our experience, they were crying laughing. They felt bad for us, lol. At that moment I decided my next cruise will be a Carnival cruise. Just want to have fun!! We're booked on the Carnival Magic in December, woo-hoo! Disembarkment: They provided tags for all of us to put on our luggage, which we set out in the hallway the night before, and assigned us a time. Things must have been moving slow that morning as we didn't get called on-time, about a half hour late. Found our bags pretty quickly but waited in about a half hour line to go thru customs. All in all, not too terribly painful. Bottom line is the ship itself was nice. The one girl in our party who has cruised with ROI did remark a few times how closed off this ship felt to her, she was used to a much more open-airy feeling. The artwork was pretty cool and everything was brand new. The crew was amazing. Always friendly and smiling. I think I was just looking to have a lot more fun on the ship itself and was left very disappointed. The crowd was much older than I anticipated and quite frankly kinda stuffy. Just not for me.

Seniors Only!