Norwegian Epic Cruise Review

Highly Disappointed Loyal NCL Cruiser

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by CaliGirlCruising

• Sail Date: Dec 2018
  • Destination: the Southern Caribbean

My husband and I wanted to take our 3 children and nephew on a pre-Christmas cruise. We had the 2 bedroom villa in the Haven and my son and nephew had a balcony cabin. The staff was not nearly as friendly compared to the previous cruises we’ve taken with NCL. This was our 3rd time getting the 2 bedroom villa in the Haven. My daughter and I decided to go up to the Haven’s private area where it was quiet. A NCL staff member walked over to us, (we’re African American) and asked if we’re supposed to be up there. I asked him how many of the Caucasian people did you ask if they belong? He immediately started back peddling. I was embarrassed for myself and my daughter. Our family has sailed NCL since 2011. We have NEVER been treated so disrespectfully. I will NEVER sail Epic again. I waited to post my review because I wanted to give NCL time to respond to my complaint and I have heard nothing back. When people who work hard to provide a great life for their family go on vacation and spend the money to relax, they should not have to get to the middle of the ocean and be humiliated for their skin color, religion, beliefs or sexual orientation. By the way, the Haven 2 bedrooms for 4 people is not a cheap thrill. It’s EXPENSIVE!!! I have to rethink my stance of only traveling NCL after this. It’s hurtful that you can be loyal to a brand but they’re not loyal to their long standing customers.

Ports: The ports were ok, I don't if repairs were still going on due to the storm that hit September 2017. We did enjoy the stop in Tortola. Our children chose to do the Virgin Gouda Baths and my husband and I chose to do the speed boat tour around Tortola.

Ship: This was the first time since 2009 I had a complaint about the ship. The ship was ok, not what I expected at all. The interior decor, especially in the Haven areas were nicely furnished. I loved the whole Haven experience being away from the crowd and relaxing in the air conditioned lounge. Thumbs up for that.

Dining: Surprisingly enough, the food was not that great on this ship. We were highly anticipating going to our favs. We went to Cagney's and the food wasn't good at all. The next night we went to the Italian restaurant and they didn't have the lasagna anymore, the food we chose was not good. After 3 nights of bad experiences and customer services, we opted to eat in the buffet and room service.

Disembarkation: Horrible with a capital H. Again, I have NEVER had a complaint since 2009 with NCL. It took us 2 hours to disembark. We did not understand why we didn't have the same experience getting on than getting off. When we arrived, as promised, we had someone escort us to our cabins. Getting off, we were with the general public and had to stand in long lines. As a Haven Suite customer, I would think that we would get to have a certain privilege to disembark.

Children: We brought our 21, 20, 20 and 18 year old children with us. They mainly played basketball and stayed in the arcade. After 3 days they were bored and just watched movies and played on their phones. They did say for them, the best part of the cruise was the port visits where they could roam and not be confined to the ship. If you have older children, let them choose some of the excursions that they like to do.

CaliGirlCruising's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Haven 2 Bedroom Villa 16036?

The cabin was the same as the last two times we had it. Everything was nice, comfy and cozy. Very accommodating for a large family or group 4-6. The master bedroom has a beautiful full bathroom with a tub, shower and double sinks. The other bedroom has the ability to sleep 2 in a bunkbed style. It also has a bathroom with just a shower. The sitting and eating area is almost reminiscent of an apartment. We always enjoy staying in the Haven Suites.

Jost Van Dyke

Always our favorite when putting in Tortola. We took the speed boats over to JVD. The kids went to the Virgin Gouda Baths. They said it was slippery but fun. If you do take the speed boat experience, be prepared to see the most beautiful sites ever. I wish I had a case around my phone to take more photos. Find a water proof camera or phone case to capture the beauty of Tortola.

View All 109 Jost Van Dyke Reviews
St. John Snorkel/Sail

The snorkeling was great and lots of fun. The beach we went to was AWFUL!!!! Our regular spot/beach we love didn’t have enough tickets for 6.

View All 206 St. John Snorkel/Sail Reviews
Port Canaveral (Orlando)

The port was nicer than what we are used to in Miami. It served it's purpose.

Beach

The beach was not clean, nor swimmer friendly. We understand the excursion company could only do what they could do due to the storm of 2017. All of the beaches we were used to were not inhabitable yet.

CaliGirlCruising