3. Emerald Princess
We chose this cruise because friends of ours saw it online and wanted to go to Hawaii. We departed from San Pedro. Departure was great. Long Beach is lovely. We were on board in no time at all. Smooth sailing! Weather was not the best, very cold in California. Disembarkation was also not a problem. Princess does that well. The ship was not in top form. The hot tubs had barely any jet power and were very old - definitely time to replace them. The ship itself was fine but very dated and the furniture in the Piazza was old and torn and stained. The Explorer's lounge was actually disgusting and had stained chairs that had lost the padding in the seats. I could smell urine at times. There is very little room there and I found this true in the theatre as well. If you don't go 40 minutes before any show you won't get a seat. Still we were on a cruise so the basic run down state of the ship did not have any effect on our fun. I found the buffet to be overcrowded and we were herded into areas at different times and could never find any seats. The furniture here was old and sticky too. I did not like the vibe there. The pools were great. I was in them a lot. Clean and well kept. They were semi warm as well. Lots of room on the deck to sun. We really did not have to wait for chairs out there much at all. The entertainment staff were great. They had me laughing more than once; Cruise director Duke and Asst Director Mark were fantastic. Lots of fun. I miss them a lot. They were very interactive with the staff. Empara from Chile was so funny. She was really fun to interact with. The service was okay. Lucy in the Explorer's lounge was great. Our room Steward was good, but he looked rushed and not really too friendly. He gave good service though. The ports were amazing. I mean its Hawaii right? But Ensenada was fun too. We did a whale watch in Maui and that was fun. We did the tour of Pearl Harbour which was nice but I was not aware that it would be extra to tour Big Mo. Our cabin was not quiet. We were right under the lido - neptune pool, and next to storage mid-ship and we heard loud bangs very early and late. One night they were power washing the pool decks and it was very loud. The sideways inside rooms are wonderful though. Big, roomy and lots of storage. Overall the trip was fun. The dining rooms had good selections. The waiters were good but once again, seemed rushed. I had the overall sense that Princess is trying to cut back and even the International cafe seemed to have less choices, as did the buffet.

We had a great time. Lots of good food. Cabin was spacious and clean.

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by Mercrosby

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Hawaii
  • Cabin Type: Interior
Mercrosby’s Full Rating Summary
Get Emerald Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin IC R507
The cabin itself was great. Sideways inside, it is bigger than normal inside rooms. Everything was clean and spacious. Loved the set up and the bed was comfortable. The only problem was that we heard a lot of noise, but we get up early anyway so not too bad, but even in the hallways, a lot of noise. I guess being mid-ship is not always the best thing. plus we were right under the pool and a lot of noises came from up there. We heard big bangs a lot. But I did love the room overall. it was my first experience in an inside room.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins