AmaCerto Cruise Review

AmaCerto Cruise Review by czegans

• Sail Date: Mar 2019
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: Outside stateroom with fixed window

I had always been curious about river cruising, but had been reluctant to commit. However, this particular cruise up the Danube was too good to refuse, and I am so glad I did it. The initial draw was that the entertainment on board would be the Alan Doyle Trio; my friends and I are big fans, and the chance to see 4 shows in one week and to interact with them on shore excursions and on the boat was once in a lifetime. Turns out that the vast majority of the passengers were of like mind: ready to have fun and connect with new people. From the first notes of the first show, we were all fast friends. And, even the passengers who had booked the trip independently quickly became fans and were really happy they had chosen this particular trip.

Every element of this cruise was top notch. Embarkation was so easy, and the crew made me feel like I was coming home right from the beginning. Every need I had was met almost before I even asked. From housekeeping (wonderful Stephanie who cleaned and set up my room at least twice a day) to the bartender Misha who seemed to be always working (I don't know when she slept), and always with a smile on her face no matter what time of the day or night, to Roman the Wellness Director, who took the time to get to know me and my physical limitations and develop a program for me while on the boat. Our cruise manager was unbelievable. I think he must have had a "time turner", like Hermione Granger from Harry Potter, because he was literally everywhere all day, making sure shore excursions were going as planned, that everybody was safe and accounted for, and that we all had the information we needed to make our daily activity decisions.

The ship was terrific. Plenty of room for finding moments of privacy, and great spaces for hanging with people. The thoughtful touch of having blankets available on deck for those cool days allowed us all to be outside as much as we wanted to. The fitness room had a treadmill that was non-functional for our cruise which was a disappointment to some of the passengers, but there were plenty of opportunities for vigorous training on the bike or rower, we well as on land if desired.

The food was incredible; the dining room was lovely, and the servers were fantastic. There was no assigned seating, which allowed us to sit with a whole variety of different folks over the week. We made so many friends, and it was wonderful to share our day and our adventures with these new friends. The food ranged from multicourse meals with flexible options to a light breakfast in the lounge. You could have whatever you wanted, and mix and match from the menu or the buffet or the preparation station. And, if you didn't like that, you could order a burger or any number of routine options. The menu included local specialties at every country. I particularly liked the late night snack, for which I was always ready.

The shore excursions were plentiful and varied; each day offered a terrific journey at any number of levels, from intensive biking to "gentle walkers" for those with mobility challenges. We primarily did the regular walking tours, and were impressed by the local tour guides on every one. I learned so much, and then had plenty of time for independent exploration. The entire week was low key and no-pressure. You could really do whatever you wanted on any given day.

I am definitely planning to do a river cruise again, and will not travel with anyone other than AMA Waterways.

czegans's Full Rating Summary

Outside stateroom with fixed window
Cabin D 115

plenty of room for me; might have felt tight for 2 people. Bathroom very functional; great shower. I didn't mind being "in steerage" and only having port-hole windows. I hardly spent any time in my cabin other than sleeping and changing clothes.

Budapest

Very informative tour guide, friendly and inclusive of everyone in the group. Excellent survey of city highlights.

Bratislava

Did a walking tour of the city with my friends. Great tour guide, a knowledgeable local. Lots of "color" to his comments as well as history. Beautiful city.

City Tour

Very friendly and informative local tour guide. Gave us great recommendations for a coffee house to visit and a place to go for lunch later in the day. We visited both places and she was so right!

View All 169 City Tour Reviews

Once in a lifetime opportunity to see this gem of a medieval city. Cruise line booked the bus there and back, and had both a tour guide on the bus, and a local tour guide assigned to our group. Totally worth doing; highly recommend it.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Walking Tour

Such an interesting and beautify city. I must admit I was a bit burnt out on looking at old buildings, churches and castles by the time we got here. but our tour guide managed to pick out just the right things to show us and tell just the right stories so I was completely engaged. So glad I took the time to walk around this gem of a city.

View All 218 Walking Tour Reviews