Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review
1,835 Reviews

Know the marketing demographics before you book!

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by jarosinski0

• Sail Date: Mar 2019
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

We chose this cruise as it was the spring break of our soon to be graduating daughter (HS), and it is an easy three hour drive to Baltimore. We have always loved the Port of Baltimore for efficiency and ease! We have been on three Enchantment cruises in the past that we absolutely loved! I did read the reviews of the Grandeur (after booking, unfortunately , and had some concerns that the Grandeur would be different based on hearing it was for "the older" passenger demographic). Hey, I am no spring chicken, so due to proximity, and praying that this is spring break time, there would be something for my daughter to enjoy while making friends. Well, alas, it was not the case. I am not going to "bash" this cruise. We were in room 7078, a balcony with an awesome location! There were many "highs", and we did have fun. John Blair, the Cruise Director and his wife, worked very hard to make everyone's trip a fabulous event. He is an INCREDIBLY talented singer, and his Neil Diamond show was incredible! What a voice! Enjoyed the dancers and singers .... will not lie, I have heard better but also far worse. Good comedians, and overall great entertainment. Our room steward, Cornelius and waiters, AJ and Andy were fabulous! Dinners very good; not the best, but considering the number of guests they are feeding? We did not buy tickets for the upscale restaurants, but I heard a variety of reviews. I guess I just feel that you are already paying a significant cost, so the "push" for upscale meals is trying. There is seemingly never ending marketing for additional revenue; that is for sure! You can get some good buys, but many are overpriced or simply "junk". We did buy a Citizen watch. 35% off, but the retail price stated was less than looking the same one up on line. We usually play bingo .... did not even go as we heard it was $40 to play! The casino??? Horrible!!!! Never ending losses, machines a joke, and how the dealers keep pulling 21's is remarkable, to say the least. On previous cruises, they at least give you a free drink when losing your shirt; no longer happening! All in all, I would rate this cruise a 3.5. We did have a great time, met great people, and had lovely men and women working hard in their jobs to serve us. We were blessed with beautiful weather, and relatively calm seas. The Grandeur apparently has a huge following, and we now know it is geared for an "older" geographic population that enjoys smaller ships and is not focused on her "older" appearance with fewer activities. Not sure how long she will continue to be in service ...... but perhaps they need to take that into account when establishing pricing. Again, we did enjoy the trip ...... just trying to give an accurate evaluation of what to expect so there is no disappointment or regrets for your choice.

jarosinski0's Full Rating Summary

Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony
Cabin D1 7078

Usual size balcony room. A bit "worn". Surprised that the sofa bed for my daughter did not pull out. They literally put two "blankets" with pillows on top of the sofa with the back pillows removed. Pictures did not really match theme of the boat. The room was clean, and despite being close to atrium was quiet even with activities.

City Tour

Awesome 2 hour bus tour. Phenomenal tour guide!

View All 21 City Tour Reviews
Blue Lagoon Island Beach

AWESOME day! Great experience! Beautiful day, lovely boat ride with tour, and the island was lovely with beach chairs, lunch, paid bar, and paid water toys. Highly recommend!

View All 284 Blue Lagoon Island Beach Reviews