3. Ruby Princess
Coming from New England, we flew into Ft. Lauderdale the day before we embarked on the Ruby Princess to assure that weather was not an issue. We stayed at the Renaissance Hotel at the Pt. Everglades cruiseport and it is a perfect pre-cruise hotel. We love getting a quick croissant at the French Bakery directly behind the hotel. Almond croissants are the best and the service is wonderful. We find it a great way to start our vacation to walk from the hotel to Ft. Lauderdale Beach (about 2 miles). The walk is pleasant and you can make it to the beach in about 35 minutes. We love the water taxi back to the hotel but the walk back is a great way to burn some extra calories. Walgreen's directly across 17th Street from the hotel is a great place to purchase last minute items. Of all things, I brought 4 pairs of shoes but forgot my flip flops. There are a lot of great restaurants for dinner but we walked to the Outback and then stopped at the strip mall behind Embassy Suites on 17th Street. Total Wine was a great place to purchase little "nips" in plastic bottles. Coconut rum was great in pineapple juice! We took a taxi to the cruiseport and were able to embark quickly and efficiently. Princess handles embarkation better than RCI and Celebrity and we were in our cabins by noon and off to explore. Ruby Princess is a gem. The cabins are spacious and love the neutral colors. The public areas and the atrium are well groomed and well thought out. The epicenter of the ship is the large atrium area which includes numerous shops, a coffee area, a piano player and numerous dance and musical performances, and Crooner's which is the lively martini bar mid-ship.

The food in the buffet areas was generally good but the flow of people was not well strategized in design. We ate dinner in Boticelli during the second seating and found the service impeccable and the people superior. We were at a table for two in a small area where we enjoyed making friends with table mates near us. I found the dinner menus a challenge but my husband thought the food was terrific. I am not a lover of beef, pork, or veal and found myself eating lots of salad and standard "traditional" items. It's actually a good thing since when I returned home, I had dropped a few pounds and called it a "Princess Diet." Elena from Ukraine was extremely attentive and was the best Assistant Waitress we have ever encountered at sea.

The entertainment was enjoyable but geared to an older crowd. We are in our early 50's and enjoyed the production shows and comedy routines. We also love Movies Under the Stars (MUTS) and think that is a major draw of the Princess line.

Being Gold Captain Circle members, we participated in the Captain Circle event which is a great way to meet key ship personnel as well as other passengers.

The Terrace Adult Pool is our favorite place on the large Princess ships. The addition of tables and chairs makes a lot of sense for those of us who prefer to sit at a table rather than on a lounge. Good job Princess!

Princess designs formal nights as truly special events and we look forward to dressing up and taking formal photos at the various picture venues. Nadia is a great photographer and if you see her at a photo station, ask her to take your photo.

Disembarkation was well planned and very well carried out. We were able to make a 11:00 am flight out of Ft. Lauderdale with no problem. I would be hesitant to book a flight that early coming off another cruiseline.

Love the Love Boat

Ruby Princess Cruise Review by rivacationer

rivacationer’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Balcony
Cabin BB 752
Great cabin. We loved the aft balcony and the view of the wake and the peripheral view was amazing and the best ever. For a ten day cruise, this view is a great thing!

All in all, we will book another Princess cruise for 2011. I just hope they amend some of their menus for the "non-gourmet" food types. Happy cruising and don't forget to tune into Love Boat in your cabin.
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Aruba
    Aruba was the most delightful port of call. Upon the advice of friends, we rode the buses and were able to see the island for under $5.00. The Arubans were friendly, accommodating, and were actually serving as tour guides while we rode the bus to the high rise hotel area. If you get off the bus at the Holiday Inn, you can walk on the foot path on the beach for miles without getting sand in your shoes. The breeze was pleasant and we cannot wait to go back to Aruba some day.

View All 1,366 Aruba Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Aruba Cruise Port Review
  • Bonaire
    Bonaire was a pleasant, clean, and very tourist friendly island. At the cruiseport, the locals set up booths to sell jewelry, tee shirts, hats, etc. Another island with a fabulous breeze and a very warm and pleasant reception from the local people. I purchased some glass handmade necklaces from a vendor near the cruiseport. Not only was the vendor kind, she made certain that the items were exactly what I was looking for and gave me her email address in case I had any problems when I returned home. Bonaire was an island we would love to return to.

View All 483 Bonaire Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Bonaire Cruise Port Review
  • Dominica
    Dominica was not our favorite island and the locals really tried to get us to buy their tee shirts and jewelry. We enjoyed walking along the water and loved to explore some of the side streets and buildings. We are not big on excursions because we are so active, we love to walk and explore independently. The people in Dominica were very tourist friendly and the island has a postcard look about it from the ship. If we return to Dominica, we probably would stay on the ship.

View All 669 Dominica Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Dominica Cruise Port Review
  • Grenada
    Grenada was one of the only ports of call where we did not feel particularly safe. The good thing about Grenada was the incredible smell of spices. What a great welcome as you step off the ship. We walked into town where a local followed us with a need to discuss wartime. Many passengers walked a few blocks and then headed right back onto the ship. Grenada was truly the worst island we have ever experienced and Princess should reconsider using it as a port of call.

View All 556 Grenada Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Grenada Cruise Port Review
  • St. Thomas
    Love Love Love St. Thomas. Be aware that there are 2 cruiseports. We docked at Crown Bay and decided to walk into Charlotte Amalie. It took about 40 minutes but again, it is great to stay active and use your "land legs" while in port. St. Thomas is always enjoyable and the taxi service from Crown Bay to downtown is very reasonable as well.

View All 4,104 St. Thomas Cruise Port Reviews