3. Norwegian Gem
My friend Mary booked for her husband and 2 boys and then her husband couldn't go and since I had never been on a cruise before and she was hoping to make some money back, she asked me. All went well. I am going again with my mom and two sisters May 1 on the Norwegian Dawn, embarking from Miami. I will bring my own kids someday when they are older and more independent. I am NOT a winter person so leaving from New York City in winter was not ideal for me. I like the water, seeing it all around was peaceful and my only source of privacy, however, I would not do a cruise again that took 3 days of sailing to get to first and last ports. Food was EXCELLENT compared to my experiences at numerous all inclusives, however, top decks of ship were too crowded in warm/hot weather for my taste as no space to move chairs around as packed in like sardines. TONNES to do, a la carte restaurants were terrific (we ate at the French restaurant twice, Italian and Steakhouse each once). Evening shows were amazing as well. I was not impressed by the Antiguan Experience excursion at all for various reasons which I would be happy to outline for Norwegian/Tour Company to try to improve but LOVED my excursion to Marantha Gardens and the volcano on St. Lucia. My other excusions were good too.

Excellent for People Who Enjoy the City and Don't Mind Cool Weather to Start

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by lackeyjl

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

I will bring my own kids someday when they are older and more independent.

lackeyjl’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Gem price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB 11002
Excellent and our hostess was fantastic, friendly and remembered our names each time he saw us and greeted us by name, which I was impressed with.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Island Tour
    Tour left 1 hour late. First stop to the estate was just an old house full of old, dusty items. Second stop to pineapple farm was a waste as there were no pineapples growing and we didn't even get to get off the bus. Beach was lovely however, tour guide gave us option of eating first or beach. Group chose eating, then we were told food wasn't ready for an hour. When it was ready, there were few plates and utensils, with up to 2-6 people waiting at any given time (some with food on their plates already). Food was good. I thought sun lounger was included in the price and was told an upright chair was included and the lounger I was preparing to lay on would be an extra $15. Be clear on chair type in tour description.
    View All 160 Island Tour Reviews
  • Walking Tour of Old San Juan
    City hall was beautiful. Fort was great with lovely views. My only issue with the port timing was getting there at 4pm with only a couple of hours of daylight
    View All 148 Walking Tour of Old San Juan Reviews
  • St. Lucia
    Tour guide was great, funny. Brought samples of crop items to look at. He knew so much about the flowers, crop items, etc. Was wonderful!
    View All 12,963 St. Lucia Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Lucia Cruise Port Review
  • Mountain Biking
    Tour guide great, very safety conscious, giving instructions on the bikes, and stopping cars to let us pass
    View All 2 Mountain Biking Reviews
  • Eco Tour
    Tour guide was great, knew lots about flora and fauna, island history, etc. Should not have to pay extra for a sun lounger chair. Beach lovely.