3. Norwegian Pearl
I was looking for a cruise that was low-key, relaxing, yet helped me check off some things on my bucket list. I was interested in the ports that this cruise took and I'll just say I was not disappointed! The ship itself was very nice - the kids had a great time at the pool, they really liked the fun activities and the friendly people at the "Splash Academy" kids club. The food was great - the kids lived on ice cream and pizza while we were able to enjoy some very nice meals at the complimentary and paid restaurants. The shows were great, we always found something to do whether just walking the decks, watching a movie, bowling, shuffleboard, giant checkers. The only complaint I would have is that the pool deck was extremely crowded at all times, but that's to be expected on a sunny cruise. So many people saved their seats on deck and left for lunch or activities and you couldn't take their seats which we didn't think was fair, but that's how it works. Also - getting on the boat and off the boat wasn't great - we waited in line for a very long time (over an hour) to get both on and off the boat. I don't know if that had to do with the cruise line though, or the Tampa port itself, but I didn't remember having to wait that long when we went on our Alaskan cruise through another cruise line. Our shore excursions were definitely the highlight! The bought all of our excursions through the cruise line itself which was the way to go - one of our excursions ran long because our small boat had engine issues so we were late getting back, but we were with a big group from the ship so they waited for us. The staff was very friendly - we enjoyed the entire trip immensely!

Bucket List Checks

Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by amccosh

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

The staff was very friendly - we enjoyed the entire trip immensely!
amccosh’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Ages 7 to 9
Get Norwegian Pearl price drops

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MA 11576
The cabin was great - plenty of room for a family of four (small children though - 6 & 9). Our steward was helpful and friendly. The only complaint I have about the cabin has nothing to do with the ship itself, but our neighbors smoked like chimneys even though there are signs and rules about not smoking on the balconies. It was our fault for not reporting it though.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Costa Maya
    Great place - so fun for kids of all ages. Have a six and a nine-year-old so we didn't do a lot of the large rides, but they loved the kids area, the lazy river, walking through the botantic gardens and spending time in the relaxing pools. Great food, great drinks and all reasonably priced. Lots to do - will spend the whole day here.
    View All 12,995 Costa Maya Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Costa Maya Cruise Port Review
  • Grand Cayman (Georgetown)
    A fantastic excursion!! If you want to see as much as you can book this excursion. You start with a tour of the island that I could have done without. You stop at the governor's home (eh), you stop at the rum store (yum), you stop at the oldest home on the island (eh), you stop at Hell (ok short stop). The turtles were amazing - so many and you get to swim with them in a small enclosure just 5 at a time. There is a lot to do there but you only get a short amount of time so if you want to do more there you should just do the Turtle excursion. Then you head out to the Stingray Bay - so amazing! Definitely out of my comfort zone being in the middle of the ocean, but the kids get life vests and the water isn't deep. They take pictures of you and a huge stingray and you get 10 pics for $50. Totally worth it. Even if you have a water camera it's a pain to worry about the kids and the waves and the stingrays and get a good pic.
    View All 12,995 Grand Cayman (Georgetown) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Grand Cayman (Georgetown) Cruise Port Review
  • Harvest Caye
    Great island - lots to do - good to have a choice between a pool or the ocean. Some shopping, fun for the kids.
    View All 1,133 Harvest Caye Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Harvest Caye Cruise Port Review
  • Roatan
    A great time at the preserve! Got to see so many animals - especially loved the macaws and the monkeys! Be sure to bring tips for the animal handlers - they do a great job giving you great photo opportunities. We could have spent the whole day there, but it was great to spend just enough time to see everything and keep the kids interest.

The beach was beautiful - good food and great drinks. You had a security guard there who introduced himself and let you know you could leave your things without worrying about anyone taking your stuff. The only complaint I have is that the hecklers on the beach were many and, although they weren't supposed to come into the beach area itself, they did come close if you were sitting closer to the water and they talked to you when you went to the water. At least if you let them know you weren't interested they left you alone for the most part, but then new people came up. I know it's the thing so it didn't make me enjoy the beach itself any less, it was just kind of a pain.
    View All 12,995 Roatan Cruise Port Reviews