3. Jewel of the Seas
We typically cruise with Carnival, but wanted to do a full transit through the Panama Canal, which Carnival rarely offers. So we booked a cruise on Jewel of the Seas, we have been on Explorer of the Seas back in 2002. We have been on nine cruises, we are in our mid sixties, husband and wife. We have never had a bad cruise and we did enjoy Jewel, Some people might be upset that I am doing a comparison, but it may help explain our views on the ship and may help others deciding what cruise line is best for them. Our cruise left on March 13th out of San Diego, we did an overnight in Cabo San Lucas, next port was Puerto Vallarta, Puerto Quetzal Guatemala, Puntarenas Costa Rica, cruising through the Canal, Colon Panama, Cartagena Columbia, ending in Miami on March 29th. Embarkation: We arrived a day early in San Diego and stayed at The Courtyard in Liberty Station. Embarkation on the 13th seemed to take longer than Carnivals, with both there are long lines, Carnival seems to move all the time, we stood barely moving in Royals lines for about 45 minutes. We headed to Windjammer for lunch as expected, it was crowded. Lido Marketplace on Carnival is even more difficult to get a seat on the first day, but Carnival has alternatives to go to and avoid the crowd, we usually go to Guy’s Pig and Anchor BBQ or Pasta Bella, which are free for lunch but away from the crowds. It would have been nice to have an alternative on Jewel, say lunch in the main dining room. Ship Décor: Jewel of the Seas is much more toned down and drab, I am used to the bright, flashy décor on Carnival. That being said, she is a lovely ship once I got used to the subdued look. I found her very easy to learn my way about the ship, I rarely got lost. The Coral Theater have great line of sight and as long as you arrived to the shows about 30 minutes early, there was no problem finding a great seat. Most shows were full by the time they started. Windjammer could get very crowded, but we tend to eat lunch early and I loved the outside tables. The main dining room was nice too, but I felt the tables were too crowded together, it could be difficult just maneuvering to get to your table. Schooner Bar and Safari Club were lovely; we often got an afternoon drink at the Schooner Bar. And I often read or did my sewing (appliqué) sitting in Vintages, I loved the big windows to look out. We don’t gamble, though the casino was quite pretty and we don’t use the spa or gym. The Solarium was probably the most beautiful part of the ship, both in the décor and plants, it beats Carnival’s Serenity hands down in ambiance. I was really looking forward to spending time here, boy was I disappointed. There are not only lounge chairs, but there are tables with chairs which is nice when getting a snack at Solarium Café. But what happened is that groups of people would come and sit at the tables, conversing loudly, spoiling what should be a quiet area. On cool days, people who sit at the outdoor pool took all the seating inside. Noisy music from the pool deck bled in every time the doors opened. And I found the bird noises annoying after a short time. After the first two days of trying to enjoy the Solarium, I was chased off by the lack of serenity to the area. I ended up spending the time I would have in the Solarium at Vintages. Cabin: We almost always get a balcony cabin. First off, I was disappointed that the view over the side of the ship was obstructed by the roof over the lifeboats. You could look out just fine, but not down to see the ship cutting through the water. This was my mistake as I should have checked to see if there was a sight line down (if you have a balcony at the front of the ship, the roof does not extend there). The room itself felt smaller than Carnival’s cabins, it only had a loveseat instead of a sofa. But Jewel’s actual balcony was probably twice as large as what we get on Carnival. The railing on Jewel was right at sightline when sitting in the chair, you had to bend down to see the horizon. Carnival’s is positioned differently as I never had a problem seeing the horizon. The bed was fine, a bit hard but we had no trouble sleeping on it. The cabins seemed to be soundproofed well, either that or we had quiet neighbors. We did not get much hall noise either (unlike Carnival where the partiers make a lot of noise). The bathroom has less storage of toiletries than Carnival, but the shower with a door is far better than Carnival’s curtain which does not keep the water in. Entertainment: The shows offered in the Coral Theater were good to excellent. My biggest problem was the lack of choices. There was usually one show: dance production, singers, comedian, juggler, hypnotist, etc. Carnival offers a show in the theater and four different routines in the comedy club every night. We were always busy going back and forth. On Jewell we usually went to bed after the show, nothing else offered that interested us. (We are not into Trivia or karaoke). There were a few shows in the Centrum, like finish the phrase, copy cat, dance moves which were entertaining, but seating was limited around the Centrum. Live Music: We enjoyed the Jewel Orchestra very much, supper talented bunch of musicians. There was duo of strings offered occasionally in Centrum and Mood Icons were good. Activities: My favorite activity on Jewel was the knit, crochet, and sew group that met every sea day in Vintages. I had brought handwork specifically for sea days and was pleased to see they offered a group meeting (self lead). I met several wonderful ladies that share a passion of handiwork. Bingo is another favorite of ours, but the bingo costs more than on Carnival. We typically buy six cards to play, Carnival offers this for $29.95 for three games. Jewel had a six card offered for $29.95 for one game a couple of times and $39.95 for three games other times. A lot of money to play bingo. But I have to admit, the final day of bingo on Royal is better. Carnival offers $5000.00 in a coverall, but if no one wins after 50 balls are drawn, reverts back to just a percentage of the take. Royal offers a free cruise and they play until someone wins. We also signed up for the galley tour which we were very interested in, it was offered three times during the cruise. It was offered on the first sea day, we wanted to explore the ship. We booked the second time it was offered, but found out it was the same time as the lecture on the building of the canal, which we did not want to miss. So we booked it the last sea day, showed up and were told it was canceled due to lack of attendance. Fellow Cruisers: We usually do a seven day cruise on Carnival and you do get a lot of partiers. For a 16 day cruise I figured it would be an older crowd and I was right, my guess is the medium age was 70s to early 80s. The other interesting thing we noticed, Carnival sells a lot of beer, very few people had beer on Jewell. The drink of choice is wine. The activities reflected that this is an older group. Dress in the dining room: Carnival and Jewell are very similar in dress code. We had three formal nights, few ball gowns and suits, but mostly nice dresses and sport coats and ties. Casual was the same for both, my husband wore shorts every night with nothing said. My Time Dining: When I booked the cruise the traditional dining was booked full for the early slot and I don’t like to eat late. So I booked My Time Dining. I found that I could book a reservation for My Time Dining, which I did for 6:00 pm every day. It worked out wonderfully, we had the same table for two every night right at a window. Granted the tables for two were close together and we really liked the two couples next to us at tables for two. But if we had not cared for them, we could have ignored them as we weren’t really sitting with them. We always walked right in and were seated immediately. Crew and Staff: This was the biggest jolt to me, on Carnival every single employee whether staff or deck hand, met your eyes when passing and have a smile on their face. I was shocked at how the crew usually avoided eye contact and rarely smiled. They did not make me feel welcome on the ship. Our personal attendants in the stateroom and in the dining room were fantastic. Very attentive and made sure our every request was met. There were many attendants in Windjammer that were friendly and happy to see us. On Carnival I would say that 99% of the employees have a smile on their face and are happy to see me, even just passing. Royal I would say maybe 50% are that way. We saw the cruise director at the beginning of the shows in the Coral Theater and that is about all we ever saw him. Carnival’s cruise directors are much more visible and inactive with the passengers. We always have a Q & A with Carnival’s cruise director which is very entertaining. Not so on the Jewel. Food: This is a very subjective topic, but we found the food to be good to excellent. Windjammer at lunch had a great variety and usually very good. We loved the curry dishes and they usually had all different kinds of roast chicken, stews, and good assortment of vegetables. But, Carnival has Guy’s Burgers and the Mexican Cantina, which are fantastic. Windjammer had hamburgers that I would not even try, they looked gray and dry. Windjammer usually has cookies, mousse, custard pies, a chocolate cake and fruit for dessert. Sometimes a warm dessert was offered such as rice pudding or peach cobbler. Carnival has a dessert station with tempting an assortment cakes and pastries. The main dining room had good food, just not much variety. Appetizers had two to three different offerings, then always had French Onion soup, Cesar salad, shrimp cocktail, and maybe a few more. Main offerings usually had two seafood, a beef, lamb or duck, a vegetarian, and always had a roast chicken breast and New York Strip. Desserts had two different options, then every night had cheesecake, crème Brule, chocolate cake, fruit and ice cream. Carnival’s menus have very few repeats in any category. We happened to go up twice after dinner to see what Windjammer had and felt we might be better off there. One time they had a whole roast turkey, what was offered in the main dining room was turkey roll. On the last night they had a chocolate buffet (which was not advertised in the compass). Beverage packages; We do not usually buy beverage packages, I don’t drink much and my husband has a beer or two. On Jewel they offered a refreshment package, which I was able to buy just for me. This is a great deal. In the morning I would get specialty coffee at the Lattatudes, at breakfast I would get fresh squeezed orange juice and I used the freestyle machines to get soda , sparkling water and carbonated water, in different flavors It does not include alcohol but I was very satisfied to get fruit slushies at night. It was a great package and I would buy it again in a heartbeat (I got it on a black Friday sale for $17.00 a day). My husband likes beer on tap and Jewel offered 10 beer for $49.50 (they had to be on tap, which works for him). App on board: On Jewel we had to use a paper to find out activities (the compass). For menus we had to find an interactive screen near the dining room. For our bill, we had to look on the TV. This all seems very primitive compared to the Carnival App. On the Carnival App (at no charge) we can see menus for the entire cruise, hours of operation, all activities (and can like them so it reminds us when it is coming up and tell us which of our party is going), our shipboard charges, all on our phone. And there is a chat feature to talk to others in my party for $5.00, one time charge. Conclusion: When considering a cruise, if all ports and time is equal, we will choose a Carnival cruise. But I now love a long cruise, which Carnival does not offer. I would certainly book another Royal cruise, on the whole I was pretty happy with it.

Cruising on Jewel of the Seas, including comparison to Carnival

Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by Astromaid

Astromaid’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 6D 7078
We almost always get a balcony cabin. First off, I was disappointed that the view over the side of the ship was obstructed by the roof over the lifeboats. You could look out just fine, but not down to see the ship cutting through the water. This was my mistake as I should have checked to see if there was a sight line down (if you have a balcony at the front of the ship, the roof does not extend there). The room itself felt small, it only had a loveseat instead of a sofa. Jewel’s balcony was very roomy. but the sightline when sitting in the chair, you had to bend down to see the horizon. The bed was fine, a bit hard but we had no trouble sleeping on it. The cabin seemed to be soundproofed well, either that or we had quiet neighbors. The bathroom has less storage of toiletries than expected, but the shower with a door is far better than a curtain which does not keep the water in.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Cabo San Lucas
    On the first day we arrived in Cabo, I booked a private sailboat to celebrate my husband's birthday. We love to sail and I thought this would be very special. The excursion was prepaid, but I requested a cake and I tried to pay for it when we checked in. I was told they had no notice there was supposed to be a cake. Again, I showed my paperwork showing there was supposed to be a $30.00 carrot cake. Then when we were ready to head to the boat, I was informed that the port authorities mandated that the winds were too high (we have sailed in higher winds) and that all commercial sail boats would not be allowed to sail out of the bay and sailing would be prohibited. I feel I should have been offered my money back, but I wasn't thinking clearly to ask for it. So we spent a lot of money just to motor around the bay. They did serve us a lot of food, including hostess cupcakes (substitution for the cake). And we did follow a mother whale and her calf for a bit. I finally told the captain to take us back to the docks. We were very disappointed.
    View All 12,963 Cabo San Lucas Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cabo San Lucas Cruise Port Review
  • All-Terrain Buggy Tour
    We booked this tour through Cabo San Lucas Tours for our second day in Cabo. As we needed to be on board by 1:30 pm, I booked an early RZR tour, my paper said we were to meet at 8:15 am. By 8:30 I made a phone call to find our where our transportation was and was put on hold for several minutes. The lady came back and said our transport should be there at 8:45. The driver said that his paperwork said we were to be picked up at 9:45, I showed him my paperwork that said 8:15 and explained that 9:45 would have been too late. It was about a 25 minute drive out into the countryside. We were assigned an RZR and had a guide, I was not expecting this to be a personal trip, my guess is that we were part of a group coming later. The actual tour was fantastic, driving fast along paths that were twisting and up and down. My husband had a blast driving, I just held on for dear life. We ended up at Migrino beach which I believe is a private beach. We drove along the shore with the surf just pounding. We took a short break to take pictures. Drove quite a bit more and then back to base. I was feeling really good until I asked about our transport back and was told it would arrive in 15 minutes. When 15 minutes past I was told it would be 20 minutes more. I started throwing a fit then, because I was concerned about getting back to the ship. The van arrived about 15 minutes later and we arrived back to the ship with about 30 minutes to spare. Lesson learned, I had booked this trip many months before our cruise, in future I will reconfirm dates and times just before we set sail.
    View All 3 All-Terrain Buggy Tour Reviews
  • Cartagena (Colombia)
    I almost did not book a tour in Cartagena, with concerns about the reputation of Columbia. But I read wonderful reviews about Dora the Explorer and booked a tour through her. This was my favorite port of call, what an amazing city. First stop was La popa Monastery which is on the top of the highest hill. It is a magnificent building with a gorgeous view. Then we stopped at the fort, but not enough time to explore. The dungeons were next, which have been converted to lovely shops. My husband bypassed the shopping and climbed up to the old wall of the city. We then had a walking tour of old town, It is amazing how the city has cherished these old buildings and churches, With that being said, the street vendors here are the most aggressive I have ever experienced, worse than Haiti, Jamaica or Mexico. I had no problem just saying no gracias, they bothered my husband much more. And if you make a move to take your wallet out, they swarm you.
    View All 12,963 Cartagena (Colombia) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cartagena (Colombia) Cruise Port Review
  • Colon (Cristobal)
    There isn't a spot to review the canal, what an amazing trip. Royal does it right with lectures both before (history of the construction) and during the transit (explaining what you are seeing as you travel). Absolutely spectacular. The day after the transit we took a tour through Royal, what a disappointment. First, Colon is a filthy rundown city, looks like a war zone. There are no traffic lights, so just getting out of the city takes about 30 minutes. We drove to the pacific and went to the Miraflores locks. It was interesting to look at them from a different perspective, but the moving was terrible and not worth time seeing. Then we drove to the new locks at Gatun. This was interesting only because there was a container ship that we watched go through the locks. This is the only redeeming part of the cruise and it was just luck there was a ship transiting. I was told the movie was better here, but you had a choice of seeing the moving or the ship (the English version is played on the hour). The guide we had gave us irrelevant and sometimes incorrect information. Absolutely nothing in this tour was about the future.
    View All 12,963 Colon (Cristobal) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Colon (Cristobal) Cruise Port Review
  • Puerto Quetzal (Antigua)
    We did the Mayan Experience here, because it was a 9 hour tour with a 2 1/2 bus ride there and back, I booked through Royal. It was a long bus ride but very interesting, we had a terrific guide with great information. We headed through the plains up into the volcanoes, we even saw where the highway and a village were destroyed by the lava flows last June. Then the bus wound trough narrow streets in villages, it was almost heart stopping. Our guide spend a lot of time explaining Mayan culture (60% of Guatemala is Mayan). We arrived at the ruins and toured a small museum. Then our guide took us to the far end, come to find out there was a Mayan ritual in progress there and we were able to observe. The second bus started at the front of the ruins and totally missed the ritual. it was very interesting. I also enjoyed learning the history of the ruins and Mayas. We then stopped at a very nice restaurant for late lunch before returning to the ship.
    View All 299 Puerto Quetzal (Antigua) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Puerto Quetzal (Antigua) Cruise Port Review
  • Culinary Tour
    We booked Signature Taco Tour with Vallarta Eats Foods. We had instructions to take a taxi from the ship, we arrived at the meeting point early. This was at a bridge over the river and there were several hand craft shops that I explored while waiting. Our guide, Manuel, showed up, the nice this about Vallarta Eats is the tours are small, there were only six of us. We started off a walking tour, with the guide talking about the culture and the architecture, very interesting. We went to ten different eateries, some small restaurants and some food trucks. We even had a chance to make our own tortillas. All through the tour, Manuel took pictures of us and the stops we made. This was all emailed to us so we have a wonderful record of what we did. Great fun and lots of wonderful food. After the tour was done, I wanted to go to Malacon which was about two blocks away. Wonderful walk along the sea shore.
    View All 6 Culinary Tour Reviews
  • Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera)
    We booked a 10 in 1 tour with Thumbs Up, we booked the small group option and there were six of us. Excellent tour, we saw monkeys, crocodiles, macaws, toucans, a raccoon like animal. We went to a fruit market, a wood carving shop, and walked through gardens at a hotel. Lunch was at a restaurant on the side of a mountain overlooking the ocean, simply stunning. We were served a delicious buffet of chicken, pork or seafood with salad and rice and vegetables. Then we drove to the Tarcoles River, the guide arranged the river trip to coincide with high tide. I later found out some of the ship tours did this at low tide and some of the boats were stuck in the mud. We only saw three crocodiles, but numerous birds and lizards. The guides were excellent at spotting the birds and identifying them.
    View All 12,963 Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera) Cruise Port Review
  • San Diego
    We arrived the day before the cruise, we had a hotel at Liberty Station. We walked to Liberty Station expecting it to be small shops, it was mostly small eateries. There was a section that I think had shops with art work, but that did not interest us. It was nice walking back to our hotel along the bay.
    View All 287 San Diego Cruise Port Reviews