3. Allure of the Seas
This was out first Royal Caribbean cruise. There were many, many positives, and the few negatives were minor. Arrival: Cruise tip #1 - Plan ahead for parking. The RC parking filled up at the port so we had to be shuttled to a different parking lot. This, although not tragic, was a bummer. Beyond that, getting on the ship was literally the easiest we have ever experienced. I was nervous given the volume of people but they way they manage the process is very efficient and easy for the passengers. Dining: We booked somewhat last minute so got stuck with My Time dining and the only reservation we could get was 5:30. With that said, our waitstaff was amazing. Food was great but we noticed the buffet carries much of the same so one night we did the buffet. We did a specialty dining and the food was great as well. I don't think it is worth the price though. If it is free take it, if not I can't recommend the extra spend. I loved how the ship has multiple places to eat and congregate in order to spread the crowd. This does not fully alleviate the crowds though. Be prepared to wait in lines at times just to get into the buffet or eat at other areas. Cabin: Ours was fine. Nothing crazy good or bad. We had an interior balcony over the boardwalk. It was neat but loud. I would probably choose something else next time so I can sleep in peace. Entertainment and Activities: Crazy...absolutely loved the ice show. The water show at the back of the ship was stunning. Even the kids water show during the day was neat. We did not care for the Blue Planet and skipped Abba (not our thing). As far as activities, there were many. We golfed, played cards (card room is great), played ping pong, zip lined, rock walled, ice skated, played shuffle board, had massages and more. Just strolling the ship was fun given the diversity of it all. The gym was very large and well provisioned and the walking track was nice too. Service: Very friendly. Very personable. We were able to carry on our tradition and get a selfie with the captain. I think he tolerated us, but was not thrilled :)... I don't recall any poor, unhappy, or otherwise substandard service. All were great. Ports: Nassau-yuck, not sure why they stop there. We stayed on the ship. Cozumel went shopping, Coasta Maya snorkeled, Roatan snorkeled. Roatan snorkeling was AMAZING right off the West Bay Beach. Don't forget that ship time and local time are different. Very important if you book your own excursions. Other notes about the cruise: The cruise critic party was fun and funny. Flavio (sp?) did a great job entertaining. The ship is an engineering marvel. It feels a lot like you are in a mall, not on a ship. Oddly enough the ship felt more casual to me. On formal nights there did not seem to be formal places to gather like other ships have. Not a huge deal since that does not really seem to be the market they are after. Overall we would do it again, but I could easily be swayed back to another cruise line that offers a lower cost (this was almost twice the price of our other cruises).

Amazing ship

Ages 16+
Get Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas price drops

Boardwalk View Balcony
Cabin 4I 11693
Cabin was nice, somewhat small. Decent storage and functional. Nothing outrageous. The positive was having a balcony, the negative was the noise coming from the Boardwalk tends to be loud and disruptive if you need to go to bed before 11ish.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Snorkeling
    Be prepared for heavy marketing from the locals. To get into town, walk out past the transportation area, through the exit to get a taxi. They are 1/2 the price of the tram.

Went snorkeling with Dr. Dive. They did a great job, no issues with them or their service. The reef is ok, not many fish but we were able to swim with the turtles which is pretty cool. It is cheap and if you have not snorkeled before most vendors up and down the beach would motor you out to the reef for $25 making it worthwhile.

We also stopped at Lobster something or another beach and had drinks and a free margarita. Again, be prepared to say no thank you to all the vendors, but the view was amazing.
    View All 76 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Cozumel
    RC docks at the dock away from the shopping district. You need to take a cab to get to the shopping and back (which we did). Cozumel owners are generally friendly and fun. Make sure to barter. We have bought some great silver over the years. Only 3 stars because the port is a hike from the action.
    View All 6,642 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cozumel Cruise Port Review
  • Snorkeling
    Loved this West Bay snorkel day. Booked independently trough Banarama. The snorkeling is truly wonderful right off the beach. As you face the water, turn left and walk down the beach towards "the rock". Then walk right in the water. Bananarama provided armed security at our beach chairs, transportation and a drink. The RC excursion "beach" is about 100 yards down the way... Remember though, when you book on your own you are booking local time, not ship time.
    View All 282 Snorkeling Reviews