3. Norwegian Breakaway
We chose this cruise for length and destinations of warmth to escape the long Ohio winter. This was our first time sailing Norwegian and we boarded with ease at Port NOLA. Helpful tips we wished we knew: while in port, you are still taxed on all your beverages, so hold off on all those drinks until after the ship embarks; the mini-suite can sleep 4, but the beds are left out the entire cruise making it difficult to feel like you have a living area, we wish we had just found a way to book the bigger suites as our daughters are teenagers. By far the best entertainment is the band! They rocked the shows (Rock of Ages and Burn the Floor are MUST DO’s) and made each one even better! Plus, 80’s music! Plan to take more dress clothes than what other cruisers recommend- we only took two dressier outfits and due to dress codes in the better dining rooms you will not be allowed to eat there (even the complimentary Manhattan Room) if not dressed for dinner. Food was fantastic in the Manhattan Dinng Room and honestly we would have like to have eaten dinner there every night. We tried Taste and Savor for breakfast- waste of time considering the food is mostly the same as the buffet- and everyone can get what they what. Breakfast buffet is the best time and the grilling buffet is the next best! We did not eat at any of the specialty restaurants as we decided to do more shore excursions rather than buy the package and every time we wanted to just buy the dinner they were booked up. So if you decide to pay for the specialty dining, make your reservations early! Every time we came back to the cruise ship from port we were sprayed with antibacterial stuff for our hands, and at every meal... I like that they want to stop the spread of any germs, but I’d rather just wash my hands. Every single cruise member we met always greeted us and smiled and were so friendly, I can’t imagine how they do that every day, but I appreciated it! By far, Harvest Caye is the best island escape and I would like a cruise that stopped there twice honestly. We loved Tulum and Xel-Ha... and our tour guides Lupe and Temo were the best! We learned so much! However, I wish we had spent the entire day at Xel-Ha and done Chacchoben for the ruins only so we would’ve had more time there! No time to shop on this excursion after a half hour tender boat ride to Playa DelCarmen and an hour bus ride- but it was still a fantastic day! We didn’t realize we were never actually going to see Cozumel by booking this excursion, but the entire family loved the trip! Book a tour/excursion in Belize City! We decided not to book on this day, and the port is fun to walk around for a shopping spree of souvenirs but lots of locals nagging everywhere we went for us to get our hair braided or take a tour, etc... eventually this made us decide to return to the boat without ever experiencing anything in Belize City. Although, if you can stop by the flea market and visit Raymond, he hand carved wooden creatures, and is the nicest person you’ll ever meet! My pelican made by Raymond is already proudly displayed in my home! The best part of this shore day was the 15 minute tender boat ride as the boats here have a lot of top seating and it was Beautiful, especially getting off the cruise ship in the middle of the Caribbean Sea! Finally, I read so many reviews that told me not to waste my money on the dolphin swim adventure at Discover Cove at Costa Maya, Mexico. Originally, I didn’t book this excursion due to the mass amounts of negative reviews...I’m so glad I changed my mind! If you do this excursion, book the earliest time slot! We had no one else around, it was absolutely amazing, you get to swim once with a boogie board and once with the dolphin pulling you, and you get to kiss, dance, touch the dolphins too! My husband decided to hike Chacchoben while in Costa Maya, and here you can actually go to the top of the ruins on the stairs (you cannot at Tulum). He said it was amazing and he even got to see spider monkeys! If you didn’t book an excursion here, the pool / man made beach area was gorgeous and the shopping here was the best! You can find some really cool authentic hand made items as souvenirs! To top it off, you must see the amazing rain/harvest ritual- not to be missed! We are considering another carribean cruise just to return to some of the places and explore more! Mandara Spa was a fantastic escape for me for a few hours with a hot stone massage... the best massage I’ve ever had, especially because she treated the areas I was struggling with the most!

An amazing Spring Break vacation for my family!

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Dturnbull831

Ages 16+
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MA 11224
Just a tad too small to actually sleep 4 adult sized people. Might have been better when my girls were little, but as young adults, we were a bit cramped, so we will go up a size definitely.

Room attendant was great! Although my youngest daughter was sick most of the cruise and wanted to be in bed early every evening so we didn’t get as much turn down service as I would’ve liked.

Bathroom size was great! After cruising Carnival, I thought it would be small, but the bathroom was almost as big as the rest of our mini-suite. So we had packed for more smaller shared bathroom space and had ample space there.

Finally, it said king size bed, but I’m guessing due to the life jackets stored underneath, they can’t really have a whole bed... so it was more like two extra long twins pushed together... we slid in the middle during our sleep more than a few times.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins