3. Norwegian Breakaway
We chose this cruise as we were going with friends and one of them is a teacher so the timing was great and it was within driving distance for us. I think had it not been spring break it would have been better. This, of course, is not the fault of NCL. The service in all of the dining rooms was excellent. Our room steward was excellent as well. The pool was crowded on sea days so they did a good job of having the children stay in the children's area except they were always getting into the adult only hot tubs with up to 10 at a time in there. I think the hardest part was the children not being supervised on the cruise. We came down to breakfast only to find that at some point there was a ketchup fight in the buffet that the staff was cleaning up thus removing several tables and chairs from an already crowded dining area. We also had to tell some unsupervised children to give back serving utensils back to staff so they could return them back to the buffet for other guests to use. We would also often find up to 7 children coming up to the bars at 1:00 am to get sodas without any parents around. None of this is the fault of NCL but does impact the guests on the cruise. The only impact we had that was within the control of NCL was on the pub side of O'Sheehans. The service was subpar. We waited over 45 mins for food and wouldn't have people come back to refill drinks or even bring waters that were asked for. I know these folks work hard and are busy, but often times they were not when some of this took place. We finally gave up going back which made us sad as we really enjoy going there on past cruises. I know the staff worked extra hard watching over everything with it being spring break to make sure that drinks were being served properly (minors not being served) so everyone was on their toes. I read A LOT of reviews about the Rock of Ages show being not appropriate for children. I hate to say it but, there are signs up as you enter the show and they make MANY announcements prior to the show about the nature of the show. I agree that it is not for children, but they make it VERY clear up front. Those who were surprised, I am not sure how! The show was great though, one of the better shows I have seen. There is also a show in the Syd Norman Pour House that we watched several nights that was pretty great. They don't perform on Wednesdays, definitely worth checking out! Spa was crowded often. People didn't pay attention to the signage stating to not reserve hot stone beds or to limit yourself to 30 mins. We had gone to NOLA a few days early and had done a lot of walking so my back was hurting, I was trying to spend some time every day on the stone beds as it was helping and was having a hard time getting on the stone beds. It was also hard to relax as people also ignored the signage to try to be quiet in the spa and there were some intoxicated individuals in the spa. Specialty Dining: We ate at Tepanaki which was good, we did that more for the fun. Ocean Blue which was REALLY good. Cagney's Steak House which is always good. Excursions: Rum Tasting and Cultural Show in Belize City. We liked it, was good. Would recommend. Superman Zip line in Harvest Caye, my husband did it and loved it. Wellness Retreat in Costa Maya was ok. It was neat but the massage at the end was not a real massage. Would not do that one again. Tips: If you go out of NOLA, park in the Whale lot. The terminal is not as nice as the ones in FL, it's very small, be prepared for it to be a bit of a cluster. Tips, I know you already are paying your tips, but the staff on these ships don't get paid a lot, giving even $2 when you order your drinks will get you the best service, these folks will appreciate it and will remember you, trust me. You don't even need to EVERY time, just now and again. Keep in mind these guys work 12-hour shifts 7 days a week. Guest services has a hole punch. If you bring a lanyard, you can actually clip your key card onto your lanyard instead of in the sleave and have less risk of losing your card. ALso know that when the ship is in US waters, any drinks you purchase you will be charged the tax. Best way to know is if the shops are closed, you are being charged the tax on your drinks.

Overall a good cruise, but not the best NCL cruise I have had

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Renee68

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Spa Balcony Stateroom

Renee68’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Spa Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B9 14112
Cabin was good. Standard balcony room. Really nothing special to say. If anyone is looking for where the bed is for this particular room, the bed is by the closet, not by the balcony. I feel like the balcony was smaller than the Escape and Epic balcony, but I can't say for sure. Did love access to the spa.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins