3. Carnival Ecstasy
This was our 12th Carnival cruise. We drove to Charleston the night before the cruise and stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites about 20 minutes from the port. Check in in Charleston was seamless. I prepaid for parking at the port. We booked a grand suite with extended balcony. We got in the building, went straight to priority check in, got our boarding passes stamped and off we go to the ship. So quick and we arrived at a peak time, noon. The guy that checked us in said our room cards would be on our door and that our stateroom should be ready now. Not sure if that’s a suite perk and I wasn’t expecting the room to be ready but the check in guy said it would be. We got to the room and our keys weren’t there and the room wasn’t ready. No big deal for us. We had just changed to that room so guest services probably had our keys. We did ask the room steward in the hall if he’d let us drop off our carry on bags. He initially said no and, how do I know who you are? Fair point but I showed him our boarding passes and he let us drop the bags. That person ended up being our room steward. He wasn’t overly friendly but I don't need him to be my best friend. He was an OK room steward. He did the minimum in our room. We got a few towel animals. He did most of his job but he wasn’t as friendly as we usually experience. At guest services, QiQi got us our cards and apologized for the inconvenience. I told her it wasn’t a big deal to us. No harm done but she still gave each of us a drink receipt for a free drink from the bar. I wasn’t expecting that at all and thought it was very generous considering how NOT inconvenienced we were. Next up we signed into the HUB to get the kids onto chat so they could communicate with me. My youngest son had the same difficulty he had last October. He was unable to use chat because a message read for him to get his parent’s permission but then nothing. Back to guest services. Tatiana saved the day and got it figured out. Lifesaver! Big high fives to QiQi and Tatiana. I gamble on cruises. I get many offers from the casino program. They like that I give them so much money. I usually lose what I budget for gambling and that’s how it goes. This time I’d upped my gambling budget a bit and I did terrible! TERRIBLE! I did nothing but lose. LOSE LOSE LOSE What are ya gonna do, right? It’s called gambling not winning. The staff was great though. Kuda, Slavcho and Federico were super. They checked in with me often. Losing didn’t feel as bad when a friendly face would stop by. Slavcho especially made the rounds and would talk to the machine trying to give me luck. He’s very personable. Kuda sent us some cookies to the room. I finished the five days with 12,800 points! The waitstaff in the casino was mostly good. One waiter was not as efficient as others. Never gave a napkin or offered a straw or called you by name. Momo, his real name is Momcila, was so wonderful. Smiling, happy, efficient, always hustling. One thing I miss in the casino is lower bet options. A penny machine sounds great until you see max bet is $5 or $8.88! Dining was good. I do wish the American Table menu would get some updates but it’s all still very good. Nikita at table 129 was very good. Our waiter at table 220 was hilarious but I won’t ask to sit at table 220 ever again because it’s in the pathway for everyone being seated in the center of the dining room. Every person walked by you. Half of them bumped my chair. The other half wore very strong perfume or after shave. You got a good whiff of everyone passing by. We ate at the sea day brunch both days. The bagel breakfast is my favorite. It’s the perfect salmon bagel. We ate at Guy’s Burgers a few times. As always, the best burger ever. I had tacos from the cantina twice as well and they are consistently good. I relaxed and crocheted a lot this week which was my goal. I don't go to shows or most other activities. I skipped dessert most nights and I regret that now. The elevators seemed out of service often so I walked a lot of stairs. That’s probably a good thing because of all the burgers I had. I could never figure out if there was a coffee card. I drank my share of lattes from the Royal Café. Disembarkation was also seamless. Just like that…poof…vacation over. Time to book again.

Relaxing Spring Break to the Bahamas