Wind Spirit Cruise Review

Wind Spirit Cruise Review by Fearless Bystander

• Sail Date: Mar 2019
  • Destination: the South Pacific
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Stateroom

We had sailed on the Wind Star in Costa Rica a few years ago and were impressed. The Wind Spirit experience was even better. At the end of the cruise, the disembarking guests were hugging the crew members, something I had never seen on any other cruise. It felt like we had actually become friends during the 11 days on board. We had exchanged stories about families, careers, and felt we got to know them personally.

Special recognition is owed to our cabin steward (Farid) the ladies at the front desk (Maggie and Gretchen) and the servers that took care of us (DeDe, Bambang and Edison). They consistently went above and beyond whatever was asked of them and seemed to genuinely enjoy working with the guests. The maitre d' (Rafal) runs a great operation.

The food was consistently excellent, and included locally sourced seafood, as fresh as you can get. The picnic dinner the staff put on ashore on the small island ("motu") involving native dishes must have involved a huge amount of work, but was done flawlessly.

Many small touches added greatly to our enjoyment. When we returned to the ship from an excursion, we were usually hot and sweaty. Right at the top of the gangway were cold, wet towels to wipe your face and neck....pure heaven. We did three of the excursions offered through the ship and loved them all, especially the "shark and stingray encounter" which was magical.

Martina, the "Destination Manager" was always available with good advice on shore trips.

I honestly can't offer a single serious criticism or suggestion to improve the cruise. In fact, my only negative observations would be very minor : more shade on the afterdeck would help cool off while sipping a tall drink following a day in the tropical sun. Tables with umbrellas were at a premium. My second observation seems trivial even to me, but I was not impressed by the musical due "Wake Up" that played in the lounge. They seemed to be lip synching nearly every song. Sometimes one or the other would stop in the middle of a song but the singing/playing continued. I heard several other passengers comment on this.

The sailing crew, the ones behind the scenes, made sure everything went smoothly, like the tenders or zodiacs for shuttling passengers between ship and shore and the distribution of snorkeling gear.

Although not for small children or those with mobility problems, I would recommend this cruise to anyone, and will always have fond memories of my Tahiti vacation.

Fearless Bystander's Full Rating Summary

Oceanview Stateroom
Cabin A 204

Comfortable, well designed and laid out. Cabin attendants do a great job.

This is an enjoyable excursion, but is NOT, I repeat, NOT for people over 6"2" or with back or shoulder problems. The kayaks have no back supports and I was in pain when it was over (I'm 74 years old, tall, and have a history of back problems).

View All undefined undefined Reviews

If you book an island drive independently, make sure the vehicle is not an older one. We sat on benches in the back of a truck and were nearly asphyxiated by the exhaust being sucked up into the bed. Our guide (Roger) was very knowledgeable and friendly but needs to get a different truck

View All undefined undefined Reviews