3. Serenade of the Seas
We boarded the Serenade of the Seas (myself and 2 friends) on Friday, 3/15, for a 10 day Caribbean cruise! Embarkation was incredibly easy! By the time we arrived at the port it was 1pm and there was no line at all. Our cabins were ready when we got there and our cruise pass cards were in our cabins. My friends had one balcony cabin, 8530, and I had 8532. Unfortunately, the balcony separator could not be removed on this ship, but it worked out ok. The cabins had a little bit of wear, but overall, they were clean with plenty of storage. The only negatives were the number of outlets (only 2), and the bed quality (really, really horrible). My friends had no complaints. I felt like I was sleeping on top of springs. My cabin attendant put a comforter under the bottom sheet and it helped, but the mattress should have been replaced. My room attendant, Irod, was a really nice guy who always had a kind word and a smile. Serenade has so many places where you can go and read or sit and relax! I love the center atrium because you always know what’s going on from any deck. It’s a nice gathering area. The ship is easy to navigate and never felt crowded. There’s a nice area with chairs and tables outside of the Windjammer that was a great place to sit and grab a snack after an excursion. Overall, it’s a very pretty, well-designed ship and I would easily sail on her again. The food was okay. Some meals were great (panko crusted salmon, lobster) and some meals were just eh. The menu repeated a lot in the main dining room, but there was always something for everyone. If not an entrée, then certainly a couple appetizers. We had My Time dining, but made a reservation for 5:30 each night. And each night we had the same table and the same waiter. I guess we did a modified, traditional eating plan! Our waiter, Julio, and assistant waiter, Wuh, were excellent. The windjammer was a typical buffet. Just pick your favorites and move on. I think the museli is enough of a reason to cruise!! I read a few comments from past cruisers who felt the staff looked bored and uninterested. I have to agree with them. Those that provided great service were the minority in the Windjammer and main dining room. We tried lunch a few times on sea days in the main dining room. Not only were the servers not interested in serving us, they were rude and unpleasant. Not all, but most. I bought a coffee card and Andres knew my name and drink of choice by the second day. That amazes me! He serves so many people, but remembers details like that. And he didn’t mind if you asked for more of this or less of that. Thank you Andres!! We had 5 stops and did 4 ship excursions and one private. Disembarkation was very easy and never a wait. Same with getting back on the ship. No problem whatsoever. We met our tour groups on the pier, which we preferred way more than meeting in the theatre and being herded off the ship. The first stop, St. Thomas, we took a ship excursion over to St. John. We went by boat and then boarded an open air truck to drive around the island. Very pleasant. Even stopped for rum drinks half way through. I wish we would have had more time to walk around the town, but the transfer boat wanted us back on by 2:30 and the tour ended at 2:10. The 2nd stop was St. Croix. We booked a private jeep tour with TanTan Tours and it was incredible! We had to take a taxi over to the Christiansted side of the island (about 30 min ride) and that was not easy. They did not like that we wanted one way and not round trip, it was total chaos trying to get a cab and they crammed as many as they could into every vehicle. We did eventually make it for $8/pp one way and walked a bit to meet our tour. The Jeep tour was amazing! I highly recommend it. A lot of off-roading and a stop to swim in tidal pools. Great fun! The third stop, Antigua, we booked a day on a private island. I think it was called Crusoe island. Although we enjoyed it, I would not do it again. Too primitive for me. My spoiled brain pictured rum drinks being served while lounging in chairs under umbrellas and on a nice beach. In reality, we were bussed to a hotel, crammed into an old, wooden boat for the 10 minute ride to the island. There were chairs to sit in, but zero shade. Every time we asked for an umbrella, we were told we had to wait for everyone to get there. That took about 2 hours. I don’t want to sit in the hot sun for 2 hours. They eventually put up a couple 10x10 tents and we did finally have shade. There was plenty of rum punch. There was one marine toilet for about 45 people. It did not work and even after asking twice for flushing directions, it never did work. The water was very pretty and they did offer snorkel equipment but you had to go out pretty far to get to water over your knees. The lunch was really great! It wasn’t a horrible excursion, but I thought it was kind of boring and not what I expected. In St. Kitts, we took the boat ride to Nevis and tour of the island. It took about 45 mins to get from St. Kitts to Nevis and then we boarded another open air truck. We stopped at the Alexander Hamilton museum but you couldn’t get out. Next stop was hot springs, then lunch at an outdoor restaurant. Food was okay. The highlight of the trip was seeing Prince Charles and Camilla back at the dock when we were leaving. You could go up and shake their hand if you wanted. It wasn’t the frenzy that it is here in the States. The islanders found it merely interesting. Our last stop, St. Maarten, was one of the best! So much devastation still there from the hurricane in 2017. Boats overturned in the water and buildings completely gutted. And then in between were signs of recovery and newly renovated places. We took the 3 Islands by Power Boat tour. We stopped a few places to snorkel and swim and ended with lunch on the beach. We really enjoyed this excursion! In summary, we greatly enjoyed our cruise and would definitely sail again on Serenade of the Seas!

Great, Relaxing Cruise on Beautiful Ship!

Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by ScrapHappy44

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony

ScrapHappy44’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 2D 8532
Cabin was clean and comfortable. The bed was awful. I felt like I was sleeping on springs. On the 3rd day, I asked for anything to improve it. My cabin attendant put a comforter under my bottom sheet. Better, but not great.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Island Tour
    Spent the day on a private island, Crusoe. A bit too primitive for me. Shallow water. Snorkeling if you swam out pretty far. One marine toilet for all 45 people on the island which never did flush. Great lunch! Not a terrible excursion, but I would not do it again.
    View All 160 Island Tour Reviews
  • St. Croix
    Loved this tour! Great guide...Terry. Off-roading tour of the island, including an incredible stop to swim in tidal pools!
    View All 12,634 St. Croix Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Croix Cruise Port Review
  • Island tour
    Boat ride to Nevis and then island tour in open air truck. It was okay. Stopped by Hamilton museum but you couldn't get off. Stopped at hot springs. Nice lunch at outdoor restaurant, followed by an hour on a beach. Rained, so not great beach day, but we did enjoy the day.
    View All 263 Island tour Reviews
  • Snorkeling
    Did the 3 islands by power boat excursion. We had a few stops for snorkeling/swimming. Guides were very informative and we were surprised to see how much damage still exists from the hurricane in 2017. Nice lunch, great guides, zodiac boat.
    View All 122 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Island Tour
    We took a cruise line tour to St. John. We got on a boat for a 45 minute ride over to St. John. Then boarded an open air truck to tour St. John. Beautiful island and views!
    View All 263 Island Tour Reviews