3. Norwegian Breakaway
My husband and I went on this cruise with both sides of the family so we had a large party overall but for now, I am going to speak for him and I. This cruise was very disappointing for the following reasons: 1. FREESTYLING - We were told this was a "Freestyling" cruise but all we kept being told was "you need to make a reservation" ... how is it there were more specialty restaurants than main dining? We even had to make reservations for the shows!! So not only did we get nickel and dimed time and time again but we felt we couldn't relax and do what we wanted because we were so worried about making reservations just to do the things we wanted to do. 2. EMPLOYEES - The amount of employees to passengers was significantly lacking. There was maybe 1-2 bartenders per bar, including the only bar on the adult deck. I think the shortest time I waited for ONE drink was 15 mins. 3. WAIT TIMES - That goes along with the meals: the shortest dinner my husband and I had was about 2 hours and 15 minutes. That was just for drinks, app and dinner. No dessert or anything fancy. You could tell NCL was clearly understaffed or were lacking in the important areas. 4. POOLS - There was only 2 pools on the whole boat, at least that we knew of. The pools, hot tubs and little water sprinkles were packed so tight with people we decided not to even try. I believe you if you have over 3,000 people on a boat, there should be more than 2 average size pools. 5. PORTS - The ports were less than impressive. I was so excited to get off the ship and have fun on land but there was nothing but overpriced souvenir shops. Nothing exciting or fun to do unless you booked an excursion through the cruise line. 6. EXCURSIONS - We booked Salsa, Salsa at Cozumel, Rainforest River Tubing at Harvest Caye and Mayan Wellness Retreat at Costa Maya. Salsa, Salsa was fun and very family oriented. I liked it a lot! Rainforest River Tubing was the biggest waste of money!!! Rode a ferry for 40 mins then another bus for another 50 mins to float on a still river for 30 mins. Almost 2 hours each way and only 30 mins floating. AND the floating wasn't floating; our tubes were all tied together with a rope and some guy was swimming, pulling us down the river. DO NOT DO BOOK THIS ONE!! Mayan Wellness Retreat was relaxing and different. I liked it a lot. Great for the price and had fun doing their culture rituals. 7. PICTURES - The amount of money you are charged extra is ridiculous. I know sometimes prices go up for certain things but some on board were per robbery. 10 pictures were $150 ... excuse me??? We were so excited to get dressed up and take family pics but we couldn't even get them because they were so expensive! 8. ENTERTAINMENT - Some of the shows looked funny and good to go to. Unfortunately, my husband and I were unable to see hardly any because either you had to pay to see them (additional charge, not included in your room price), or you had to make reservations ahead of time, or they were smack in the middle of dinner hour. We didn't see 1 show while on board this time, very disappointed. 9. SHIP - The ship is very big, clearly as you are walking up to it. But like i previously stated, the employee to passenger ratio was disappointing. It was a beautiful and nice ship but some areas didn't have enough room including restaurants, bars, pools, clubs, etc. 10. FOOD - The food was average. The complimentary dining rooms didn't change but 1 or 2 entrees on their menu every night. It was the same menu every night. Like I said earlier, there were 8 specialty dining places and 2 complimentary dining rooms. Another way to nickel and dime you. One thing I loved from the first day was the pasta bar at lunch. Lunch is from 12 - 430 then they only shut down for 30 mins to set up dinner. I went 3 times between 3 and 330 to get pasta for lunch and EVERY SINGLE TIME they were closed. I would get more mad and mad as the week went on. With that being said, one of the 'highlights' NCL would promote is their "O'Sheen's 24/7 Dining Restaurant." I thought this was awesome cause nothing is better than some fries or pizza after drinking and dancing till 2 in the morning. NO!... we were told at 11pm at night there was a 45 min wait for 2 people to sit and eat (and there were tables open everywhere, so I assume it was because lack of waiters). I asked about the bar because no one was there and they said no because that's only for dessert...? What? That's the stupidest thing I've heard! Nothing about the food was special enough to brag about and half the time that's why I go on vacation - FOR THE AMAZING FOOD! My husband and I have been on numerous cruises! We love cruising! But this is one we definitely will not do again! NCL was very disappointing in our opinions. If I had to sum it up I would say, This is for the type of people with an itinerary on vacation and don't care to spend more money for upcharges. In this case, this was not us.

Very disappointed!

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by asai

This cruise was very disappointing for the following reasons:

asai’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Inside Stateroom
Cabin IC 12475
We had Jay as our cabin steward. He literally was the best thing about this cruise. Nothing but nice and completely hospitable. Other than our steward, everything else was average or below.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins