Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by jlb1943
- Sail Date: March 2019
- Destination: Asia
- Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony
Our primary concern is the lack of complete information upfront. Costs exceeded our expecttions.
When we booked our cruise I looked at the price and decided it was within our budget. We saw some promotions being offered and liked them. However as we got deeper into the purchase we discovered a number of surprises:
1. onboard credit was advertised as $1,000 but found it depended on the price of the cabin.
2. the $500 credit only applied if we had a mastercard. I had to find a relative to supply.
3. beverage package was "free" but added a charge for "gratuities". The gratuity charge would pay for a month of drinks in most bars.
4. bought an independent tour and was unable to use it because the tender time was over 20 minutes and priority was given to "frequent flyiers" and tours purchased from the cruise line.
5. paid for medical support but was still charged $480 for a visit when my wife got sick.
6. $29 per day for room charges (2 people) should have been included in the purchase price or made optional.
7. visas were required for Vietnam and Cambodia but there web site indicated that the cruise ship was taking care of it. Almost $400 was added to our charges.
8. no easy to find email address to send questions into the cruise line. instead we had to wait 30-45 minutes to talk to a live person. since we booked through expedia instead of the cruise line directly. we got transferred to a different person each time.
9. disclosures about how long it would take to get to cities should be listed on web site. it was 2 hours to Bangkok, 2.5 hours to Saigon and over 3 hours to get to Hamoi.
If we forget all the "surprise" charges for inexperienced cruisers the trip was enjoyable. and the low tide which prevented the tenders from returning to the ship as planned probably wasn't the fault of the cruise ship (unless they checked with the tide timetable)..
250,000+ people have entered their email
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
Bangkok On Your Ownvisit was ok but tour guide barely spoke english and we found that nothing was included except for the drive, the bus and the tour guide.View All 31 Bangkok On Your Own Reviews
Da Nangenjoyed the beach and the massagesView All 89 Da Nang Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Da Nang Cruise Port Review
Hanoibooked an independent tour to halong bay. had to rent a taxi to get to the tour place. then found out that nothing was prepared. after much discussion a tour was put together buy a nice tour guide. weather was cloudy but tour was worth itView All 63 Hanoi Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Hanoi Cruise Port Review