3. Norwegian Escape
My expectations may have been too high and or wrong before coming on the cruise, therefore it wasn't exactly the trip that I hoped I had saved up for. As far as vacations go, I usually can only afford places that I can drive to. My girlfriend and I decided to come on the cruise because her parents suggested it and were offered 2 additional guests as a perk. I am in college so this was the only week I would be available. They booked the cruise and we split it 4 ways which was the only way we could afford it. The cost of booking including taxes and fees ended up being about $1000 a person which was manageable. Because we had a balcony room, we got to pick a second perk. We would have picked the ultimate drink package for the main 2 guests but due to misinformation by the Norwegian employee on the telephone (who said we would need to purchase for all 4 people) we chose the $50 per port for excursions. If we had the drink package for the main 2 guests, we would have split the cost of the drinks for my girlfriend and I between the 4 of us and saved much more money. On top of that mix up our second excursion was cancelled (Stirrup Cay) and we lost out on that $50 and the part I was looking forward to, riding jet skis in the Bahamas. I don't blame Norwegian for the weather as that would be ridiculous, but I am a bit jaded because almost every day was cloudy, windy, and cool (low 70's). This most certainly affected using the pools and waterslides on the ship. As I said our second port was cancelled, and our excursion to Aquaventure in Atlantis was a bummer. I just hadn't expected to pay $180 for a waterpark in the Bahamas only to freeze getting in and out of the water. The beach looked beautiful, but the water was off limits due to dangerous swells and riptides. Orlando, our first port was our favorite. We chose the Airboat ride and Alligator Jungle. It was a great day for the weather and my only complaint was how rushed the Airboat ride was. Since we missed Stirrup Cay we had two days at port in Nassau. This ended up working out for us as we didn't have a curfew the first night and were able to experience the bars and nightlife. I brought my mask and snorkel to the beach there, but the water was too rough. Onboard the ship I hadn't expected the prices of everything to be so high. I really had to limit myself to make sure I didn't go too far over budget. If I cruised again, I wouldn't do it without the drink package. Even though I spent less on drinks than the package would have cost I felt like I would have had been more relaxed if I didn't have to keep a running tally every time I ordered a $10 beer. It just seemed like everything we wanted to do was going to cost extra plus taxes and gratuities. I chose to go without internet because of cost although I did enjoy being disconnected for a week. The buffet food was above average, but I preferred O’sheehans because of how crowded the buffet was all the time. O’sheehans did everything extremely well except for the prime rib special one of the days. The other complimentary dining was average to me. The waitstaff was courteous, the food was good, but the menus were boring and very similar to each other. The one specialty dinner we chose to go to was Teppanyaki. The food was delicious but personally I didn’t consider it a value at $38. There were positives on my trip, and I wouldn’t be fair if I didn’t share. First and foremost, our room Steward Derrick was amazing. Our room was always perfectly prepared and clean, and his towel animals were amazing. I asked him a lot of questions because I am very inquisitive and he was always honest and polite, and never looked remotely annoyed. This was true of most of the staff. The entertainment was all very good. Wen went to Howl at the moon twice because it was our favorite show. The man who played piano at the Brew pub was also very entertaining. After midnight, and Wine lovers the musical were great, and it was exciting to see the performers out and about on the ship. Matt Johnson and the comedians also had great acts. Will I cruise again? Possibly when I finish college and can afford to spend much more. I do feel I could have offset certain things if I could afford to replace them with other things. I would also probably cruise from Miami next time so that even my days at sea are in warmer weather. All in all it was a learning experience for me.

Expensive, poor weather, but great staff and good food

Norwegian Escape Cruise Review by justin_halpin

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Family Balcony Stateroom

justin_halpin’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Escape price drops

Family Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B4 9726
We were worried about the sleeping arrangement for 4 adults but it was actually quite comfortable. Our steward Derrick was amazing.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Atlantis Aquaventure
    Typical waterpark. It was 70 and windy so it the lines weren't terrible but we were freezing.
    View All 2 Atlantis Aquaventure Reviews
  • Beach
    Nice white sand and beautiful water, but not always calm. If you get your hair braided by one of the ladies on the beach it is $4.00 per braid. Be sure to set an exact amount before they begin if you don't want to pay for 37 braids! Bahama Mama's $20 free refills from the locals.
  • Airboat Tour
    Airboat tour was a little rushed but very exciting. After the tour they take you to Jungle Adventures. Upon pulling in it looks like a tourist trap but it was actually a lot of fun. Reptile Ryan has an endless amount of puns and one liners to keep you entertained the whole time.
    View All 71 Airboat Tour Reviews