3. Norwegian Bliss
We arrived in Miami 3 days prior to our Cruise to take advantage of cheap airfare and to give us a greater time buffer in case of travel difficulties. All went smooth. We stayed again at the Holiday Inn downtown for the three nights. An older hotel but nice staff and a great location. Across the street from Bayside Market Place which is a great place to spend time. Many shops, restaurants and water tours. Also a quick cab ride away from the Cruise terminal on embarkation day. If there is a game, also a two block walk from the Miami Heat basketball arena. We arrived a little early on embarkation day but were on the ship by 11:00. The terminal is older but the new terminal is supposed to be done sometime this fall and so far looks impressive. Having cruised on the Getaway and three times on the Escape, we were pretty well acquainted with the basic layout, which is similar. NCL must read these reviews, however, as there were several significant improvements over her sister ships. Most notably, the often criticized smoke smell from the casino has been well addressed with an enclosed smoking area within the casino. I really liked the buffet in the front of the ship vs. the rear placement on the other ships. A great view there, and also from the observation area, one deck below. I also liked that they moved the Le Bistro restaurant from the mid deck to the area previously used as a teen club and arcade. I liked that they moved these areas downstairs, next to the other youth facilities. The Go Carts were a blast and I see that there will be a larger version with some of the track extending over the edge of the ship on the upcoming Encore. A word of caution, however. We got splattered by specks of "black rain" while waiting for our turn to drive. If the wind is pushing the ships funnel exhaust over that area, beware and wear old and or dark colored t-shirts. I got about 20 splatters on my white shirt. We ate at Savor, Taste, the buffet, and The Local for the complementary restaurants. All very good with great service. We also enjoyed the specialty restaurants Los Lobos (Mexican), Cagneys (steakhouse), and Ocean Blue (seafood). All exceeded our expectations for quality, presentation and service. A true treat for someone like me who is not too fussy.... I read many of the other reviews on the ship prior to sailing. I found the staff from top to bottom well groomed, trained and extremely pleasant and helpful. We had the good fortune of meeting the assistant bar manager Haide Balon and Hotel Director's Secretary Kathleen Francisco. Both of them followed up with us several times to make sure we were happy and having a great cruise. We also were very happy to be able to see our good friends and great bartenders Rommel and Michael. These guys are great! My suggestion to having a great cruise is having the right frame of mind. You are on a ship with 4000+ other passengers. While NCL does a great job dispersing the crowd, there may be some times which you may have to wait a couple minutes for an elevator, or a drink or whatever. If you smile and are pleasant with the crew it makes them feel better and should also make you feel better...Unfortunately, I witnessed some people who were rude to the crew who work 12 hour days, seven days a week for 9-10 month contracts. Bring some cash, spread it around instead of wasting it all in the casino... St Thomas was an early cab to Coki beach. Get there before the crowd if you want a good spot. A beautiful beach with nice sand and great snorkeling to the right by the rocks. The large (3') weird looking silver fish swimming around is not a shark but a remora. I had never seen one before and had to ask a nice lady at the dive shop. If you rent gear there they will give you dog treats to feed the fish. It helps to let them get a little mushy. Go to the left end of the beach and you may see large iguanas. The beach gets a little crowded by noon. A good time to head back to the ship or do some shopping. We chartered a boat in Tortola from Island Time Charters. Julien Johnson is the owner and has several boats of different sizes. All clean and well maintained. He skippered ours for the day and was an excellent guide and captain. He made sure we were back to the ship on time but also gave us the full experience and the trip was an excellent value. We were able to snorkel two different spots and spend a couple of hours at White Bay's Soggy Dollar. Nassau was an extra sea day for us. A chance to do the water slides as much as we wanted, without waiting in line. The drop slide is intense! A fair amount of light people were getting stuck in the middle but the crew quickly gets you out though strategically located hatches. Not a problem for me. Plenty of momentum.. The balcony cabin was nice. Remember to bring an extra card to put in the slot by the door as you come in, to keep the electricity on. Also, if you have a CPAP machine, bring an extension cord as there are no plug ins by the bed... Vacations are what you make of them. We have enjoyed all of our previous cruises with NCL and are looking forward to more.

Another Great NCL Cruise

MDFlyer’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Bliss price drops

Mid-ship Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BC 13270
Nice room. Plenty of storage. Bring an extension cord if you have a CPAP machine, however. No plug in by the bed.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins