3. Norwegian Jade
The staff on the Jade were awesome. I feel that NCL provides excellent customer service anyway but this crew was top notch. The Cruise Director and CD staff were phenomenal. They were all high energy, funny, seemed to work well together and enjoy their jobs. The wait staff were all very attentive. We ate more meals in Alizar and O’Sheehan this cruise. The food choices in the buffet seemed limited. It seemed like the daily food items were the same each day. It would be nice to have the theme of the night put on the app to help passengers with meal planning. There is diversity in the options within the buffet (Asian, Indian, and American), however, I wonder why there is not a Mexican food option. I figure it would take a small amount of room to offer tacos, nachos, burritos, and fixings. I think it would go over well with the younger crowd that can be found on NCL. This was our first time at the Miami port for embarkation and disembarkation. I felt it was very organized and we got through both quickly. It seemed as if the rooms were ready and our bags to us in record time! The entertainment on this cruise was good. The comedian was hilarious! The shows were very enjoyable. There was a gentleman that performed with a guitar who was exceptional. We also enjoyed the C-Notes. Manilla Soul left a little bit to be desired. They played well but the singing was off. One of the singers continued to sing songs out of his range (using his head voice) and it was bad enough that I had to leave the area. Unfortunately, there were others I overheard complaining on the ship. There was a group that hung out for karaoke. It was disappointing that the song selection was very outdated. I also found it odd that with the great technology the ships have now that the Jade would have a very old karaoke system that was a stand-alone that could only display on one television. There was a big screen tv facing the audience and it would have been great to see the words displayed. We had three excursions this cruise and two of them were disappointing. We tried Sun, Rum and Salsa. We got put in another group because there was some walking and my husband has MS. The tour guide we were assigned to took the group up and down hills and walked continuously showing the guests where to go after the tour and where was not very safe. I am not upset that this tour guide chose to do that because it was helpful for the others. However, I had specifically asked if my husband’s disability was going to be an issue and was told the longest the walk would be was three blocks. Finally, the assistant tour guide took my husband and me to the bar the groups were meeting at. Unfortunately, the damage had already been done making it difficult for my husband to do much walking the rest of the cruise. My daughter and her boyfriend were over-heated and said the walk was difficult for them. The other excursion that was disappointing was one a beach break in St Kitts. We had been to St. Kitts the previous year and stopped a beach that was awesome. There were water toys available for rent, the beach was well kept and the bar/restaurant was very nice. We had thought we were going back to that location when we booked it. Unfortunately, the beach we were taken too had a run-down bar with an outdoor restaurant. However, it did not look like a place a health department would allow to serve food if here in the states. There were people constantly trying to get us to buy things and the little bit of water toys available were overpriced. My husband and I were unable to participate in our excursion in St. Lucia. However, our daughter still attended. The excursion was supposed to be going to a beautiful waterfall and swimming in and around it. My daughter brought back a picture of the waterfall that looked like something slightly more than overflow rain from a down spout. I suggest that NCL re-evaluate the excursions they are offering. My critique from last year’s cruise listed several ideas of how to improve the NCL app while on the ship. This year, I found the app to be a huge improvement, thank you! A few more ideas that would be useful is if you could favorite some of the activities and set a reminder so that you are not late or accidently miss it. I think it would be nice to have the theme of the buffet and special entrees from the complimentary restaurants listed daily with verbiage that it is subject to change. If NCL had the schedule of the day/night’s activities available on the app for more than 24 hours in the future, it would encourage passengers to use the app and cut down on paper and printing costs for the daily activities newsletter that is delivered to each cabin. It would also be one less thing the cabin stewards had to concern themselves with. Another item that would be great is to have the excursions for each port listed with a description and cost per person. Maybe eventually allow booking for the excursion from the app. I would also like to have the option to share account information with optional numbers. My husband booked our trip however, we use my phone when on ship. I could not see our on ship account because it was under my husband’s name and number. It is still difficult to know what time it is on the ship. It would be awesome to have the time displayed on the electronic screen in the elevators. It would also be awesome if during the day the view from the front of the ship was also displayed instead of a picture of the Jade (in the elevator). I did come down with pneumonia while on the cruise that peaked around day four out of ten. My husband and I did not go on excursion for our last three ports due to my health. The staff was very accommodating. I did have to eventually go to medical when I ran out of the meds I had brought. The medical staff was very thorough and got me on some new meds immediately. This was my first experience staying on the ship while others went to the port. It was awesome!!! I have told friends and family here at home to not feel sorry for me because I became ill on the cruise. I was at one of the best places I could have been. I got to lay out in 80 degree weather, I had someone cooking and cleaning for me, along with having food delivered to my room if I was too tired to go out. After the first night, the staff in O’Sheehan’s knew I was coming in for my nighttime hot toddy. Our cabin steward check in on me. I had it better than at home! (Although, I would not recommend becoming ill on your next cruise.) Not only do I appreciate the professionalism that NCL staff promotes and their ability to make you feel like “one of the family.” I also appreciate the perks that NCL offers and the opportunities granted to latitude members. We should be getting close to the platinum level. I always think when it comes time to fill out this survey that it would be awesome to have a job to cruise and give suggestions of improvements, give recognition on the things that are exceptional, and help improve on the areas that need it. Do secret cruiser jobs exist?!

Another Great NCL Cruise!

Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by Sparklez

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Obstructed Oceanview

Sparklez’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jade price drops

Obstructed Oceanview
Cabin OK 8592
We had an ocean view cabin. My husband and I loved the setup. The window was on the side with the bed being parallel in a large open space. The room narrowed having the entry to the bathroom, drawers, dressing table, and television there. I became ill during the cruise making it great having movies to watch while in the cabin. However, it would be nice to know what movies are coming on and when. Due to being ill, there were a couple days that I was in the cabin most of the day/night. The larger size tv helped tremendously during those times. This is my fourth cruise and I have only been on NCL, but is my husband's eighth cruise and he has been on other cruise lines. We both agreed that our cabin steward (Marie) was the best we have ever had. We filled out a hero card for her and hope she gets some type of recognition. It was her second cruise working on NCL. She had been working for another cruise line and was so excited to be with NCL.
My husband and I both enjoyed the renovations to the Jade. We spent more time in the Bliss lounge this cruise than on past cruises. The location was nice and the setup of the room was great. The Bliss that we have experienced in the past had seating that made it very difficult or impossible to view the dance floor or anyone performing at the front of the room. The Bliss on the Jade did not have that. Any seat had viewing of the dance floor and performers. The new location of the shopping was great for our budget because I had no temptation to shop. It is in the back of the ship, out of the way, and you have to purposely go to Tradewinds. I personally feel that the new location will cause a decline in revenue.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins