3. Symphony of the Seas
I was initially worried about cruising with 6000 other people on a mega-ship, but we actually noticed the crowds *less* than we did on smaller ships. Embarkation and disembarkation went smoothly with no lines. We made reservations and never waited in line for shows or for a table at dinner. The only lines we encountered were for the waterslides and the FlowRiders, but those we expected. The ship had a variety of lively spaces and quieter spaces, and the only complaint I would have with its design is that you feel very isolated from the ocean. If we hadn't had a oceanview balcony, I don't know if we would have even known we were at sea. One drawback to the balcony, though: we noticed creaking and clanking from the door frame in the evenings, possibly from the metal expanding and contracting with the changes in temperature between day to night. Otherwise, the cabin was spacious enough, with ample storage space, and our stateroom attendant was attentive and responsive. We noticed that the staff in general were very eager to please and very accommodating of requests. Our favourite staff were those we met in the main dining room. The service was excellent and the meals hot and flavourful. My only complaint with the main dining room is that I would have liked to see more vegetarian options listed (without having to ask for special accommodation). The buffet was adequate. El Loco Fresh was often prohibitively busy, especially for lunch on sea days (even when tacos and nachos were available at the buffet!). We didn't try the other food options. But we would have likely more late night options available. The variety of food available after 9 pm is unusually sparse. The entertainment was very good. We enjoyed Hairspray, Hiro, and 1977. Flight was well done but not as engaging? We also enjoyed the laser tag and other activities like the FlowRider, as well as the live music around the ship. Our kids also enjoyed visiting the teen club and kids club. We loved the ports -- Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Nassau. In each, we made arrangements to go off and do our own thing. And as much as I enjoyed the ship, it was also nice to get away on our own and enjoy more authentic local experiences.

My favourite cruise to date

Symphony of the Seas Cruise Review by trosebery

Ages 13 to 15
Get Royal Caribbean Symphony of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 7D 9710
A nicely designed space with adequate storage. I appreciated have a power outlet next to the bed, for example. My kids liked that they didn't have to share the sofa bed, that it was a trundle. Water pressure in the bathroom was fine. The space was kept spotlessly clean. The balcony was nice but the door frame would make clanking sounds from compression and expansion with the changes in temperature between day and night.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Chacchoben Mayan Ruins
    There are a few pyramids but not much else to the site. Go with a good guide who can tell you out its history! Our excursion also featured a visit to the modern Mayan village, where we were treated to a traditional lunch. At the end of the day, we were dropped at the Mahahual beach for a swim for an hour or so before we taxied back to the ship.
    View All 368 Chacchoben Mayan Ruins Reviews
  • Snorkeling
    Had the best time snorkeling ever -- spotted 4 sea turtles! -- with a private company while my husband and teenage son had a great time on their Discover Scuba dives. We were out for over 4 hours and too exhausted afterward to see much else of the port!
    View All 436 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Everglades Tour
    We took a disembarkation excursion (booked independently) that took us on an airboat ride in the Everglades before an alligator show, after which we got to hold a baby alligator. Best part of the excursion was getting to see a nest of baby alligators in the wild from the airboat, though! The bus tour featured a recorded guide on the drive there, although I would have preferred a live guide. At least the driver was very helpful and offered everyone both sunscreen and bug spray!
    View All 115 Everglades Tour Reviews
  • Island Tour
    We took a private independent island tour that was just the best: we got a tour of the different communities of the island as well as stops to see the sloths and monkeys, visit the chocolate factory, and snorkel from the beach. Roatan was my favourite of the ports.
    View All 228 Island Tour Reviews