3. Celebrity Edge
I love new ships. I booked Edge about a year ago when all the hype was going on. I almost cancelled because of the negative reviews on cruise critic. I’m so glad I decided to see for myself what all the hubbub was all about. Edge is BEAUTIFUL and it may have actually been our nicest cruise yet. We followed our usual routine of leaving from NY the day before and taking a taxi from FLL to the Renaissance on 17th Street. We settled into our room & then took a walk for dinner. We travelled with another couple & no one was in the mood for a big dinner, so we went to Chipoltle and were all very satisfied. The walk was what we all really needed. We also walked to Walgreens across from the hotel to pick up last minute items. We bought yogurt & such, for a quick breakfast in our room the next day (I have allergies & it’s easier for me to feed myself, than it is to order out). On the morning of the cruise we left our room at the 11:00 checkout time. At this point in our cruising life, we’re here to relax and we’re in no rush to get on the ship. We took a taxi to the pier, which was quick & easy. Although we didn’t spent much time in it, the terminal is modern & beautiful. Check in was a breeze and we were on the ship in about 15 min. We were not a class that has special boarding, but we did complete the boarding requirements online at home. As others have reported, they instruct you to go directly to your room, drop your bags, collect your keys & explore the ship. I was wondering what this new process would be like & felt that it was a pleasure. We met our room steward, who was extremely pleasant & then we’re off to explore. Per our Sea Pass cards we were assigned to the Cypress dining room and headed there to report my allergy issues. There was a wait, as usual, but I could not have asked for a nicer reception. They took care of my needs 100% and, although we did venture to other dining spots throughout the cruise, we were always happy to get back to Cypress. Our food and service were better than we expected. As usual, there was a learning curve on the 1st day getting around. We downloaded the Celebrity mobile app on our phones before the trip, but there was a bit more to do when you get on board. We had to link all of the individuals in our party on each of our phones and this proved to be a bit of a challenge. However, once it was done, we were able to text each other while on the ship at no charge. It worked pretty well, but we continued to have some challenges using it. The tech desk on the 1st day was swamped, but it turned out that the matre’d in the dining room helped us. Being tech savvy helps, but isn’t necessary. It was a worth while service, which also provided specialty restaurant menu’s & activity scheduling. After our lesson about the app, we headed to the Eden, because I thought we could get a quick, uncrowded lunch there, but the “included” lunch venue wasn’t open on embarkation day, and we headed to the buffet. As usual, it was crowded, but doable. We usually found a table in the left rear, without too much searching. Buffet, as stated on previous posts, is excellent. After lunch, we headed back to room to unpack & then headed to drill, which had seats for everyone, so it was pretty easy to get through. After the drill we explored the entire ship, rested in our room & then we were off to our 6:00 dinner seating. After dinner, we went to show (getting there 30 min early based on the posts we read). Getting there early is a necessity for getting a seat. They do reserve a good amount of seats for suite guests, but they release any unused seats about 10 min before the show. You can debate this practice all day, however I don’t have time for that. I don’t like it, but on the other hand, I wish for the day when I could afford a suite...lol. In the mean time, I just go with the flow. Key West - We love this stop. We went out on our own, after a late buffet breakfast. Toured the Truman House which was of great interest to us. (Last time we did the Hemingway House, which was equally interesting). We headed back to the ship after a lot of walking, which was partially our choice & partially getting lost. Those maps they hand out aren’t very accurate. Afterwards, my dh realized we should have just turned on the gps on our phones. All was well though, as we greatly enjoy walking & had a lovely day. We ate lunch in buffet/grill on ship, lounged by pool. Then off the change for dinner and show. Although food is of great importance to me, It is very subjective. Therefore, I’ll just say we all enjoyed our dinner & the service was excellent. Cozumel & Costa Maya - We have truly experienced many of the excursions in our past 20 years of cruising. We are now happiest with getting off the ship, taking a nice walk around & getting back on ship to enjoy the emptiness...and this is what we did. We had lovely days. It did rain in Cozumel, but we went with the flow & were able to function between the raindrops. Grand Caymen - We stayed on board & enjoyed the quiet ambiance of the ship. Other items I feel I should mention: Our friends easily made reservations in the Normandy Restaurant one night & we enjoyed it very much. We went to the Captain’s Club Wine Tasting, which was very informative & we enjoyed it very much. We also attended the Captain’s Club Entertainment Experience(which was an interview with the show performers) and this too, was very good. We did not attend the other Captain’s Club events, but heard they were overcrowded & the attendees seemed disappointed. We went to La Petit Chef and my party of 4 were all greatly disappointed. The presentation was cute, but the food was not up to par & the service was disappointting. I don’t like to be negative, but it is what it is. I can not review it any other way, when I felt that my allergy issue was not of importance to them & a member of our party had to send their fillet back twice because it was COMPLETELY raw, when it was ordered medium. The second time the server brought it back and placed it harshly on the table & stated: “ the chef cooked it to well done, since you weren’t pleased with anything else”...as if, we had ever received it cooked medium, which we did not. We were all shocked at her disrespectful attitude, but just wanted to get out of there at that point. My friend ate her well done fillet, which looked horrible, and we moved on. We took advantage of the Luggage Valet, where the cruise line checks you & your luggage onto your flight & you don’t see your bags until your home airport. This is the 2nd time we used it and all went well. Last day was split between relaxing at pool & packing. Overall, We felt it was an excellent cruise & had a wonderful relaxing week. Also want to mention that the cabin (Infinity Verandah) was beautiful. The new balcony didn’t bother me at all, as others have complained about (to each their own). I actually felt that the whole glass window, enhanced the room & made the room feel much larger. We also loved the king size bed. This is of course, only our opinion & I understand that there are others who disagree. I only mention it because we almost canceled this cruise because of all the negativity surrounding this & we found it to be a non issue & had a wonderful cruise. Also, we went to most of the shows & enjoyed all of them. They are different, they are not the same old thing, but they are filled with greatly talented individuals & we felt refreshed by the different direction they take. The comedians were very good. Now about Eden...I was actually afraid for my husband to visit Eden. I can deal with just about anything, but he does not. Our 1st encounter with Eden was a lecture on the Fibonacci Sequence (it’s a math thing - not kidding). He loved it & looked at Eden from a totally different perspective. It wasn’t the weird, creepy experience that others had described. It was now an area built & based on a mathematical concept, with a connection to nature & everyday life. It changed our perspective & we were able to greatly enjoy this venue. We however, only lasted 1/2 hour into the show, but our friends stayed the whole 90 minutes. Make sure you go to the Liar’s Club Show. It’s a lot of fun. The captain & officers on the ship were wonderful & very visible throughout the whole cruise. The captain is quite the comedian. All in all, this was a great trip, that we plan on repeating.

Edge is wonderful!

Celebrity Edge Cruise Review by bacm

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Edge Stateroom with Infinite Veranda

Grand Caymen - We stayed on board & enjoyed the quiet ambiance of the ship.

Other items I feel I should mention:

Make sure you go to the Liar’s Club Show. It’s a lot of fun.

bacm’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Edge price drops

Edge Stateroom with Infinite Veranda
Cabin E3 7232
Loved the cabin, the king size bed & the IV. The bathroom is large & a pleasure to use.
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins