3. Celebrity Eclipse
Firstly, we are not cruisers and chose this cruise because we wanted to visit South America for the first time. On immediate embarkation we were met with a fairly hard sell with regard to drink and dining packages. A lot of people had been travelling for 20 + hours and we questioned whether this was really necessary at that time. It just seemed a money making exercise. Surely, it might be better to charge more for the cruise in the first instance. There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the cabin and people were going to the restaurant and returning to their cabin with cups of hot water/tea/coffee. In terms of safety, we couldn't see the logic of this. Our cabin on the Deck 8 was good - plenty of storage and an unrestricted view. Our cabin steward - Jon, was excellent. He couldn't help us enough. Unfortunately, on our last days at sea we both contracted a gastrointestinal illness. We had been ashore on an excursion earlier in the day but had eaten and drank very little indeed - only bottled water. We called the Medical Centre and despite mentioning it in the daily bulletin of Sunday, 3rd March that "a member of the medical staff will be seeing you in your stateroom" we were told that someone would collect us in a wheelchair. I visited the surgery twice and my husband once - I was in isolation for 24 hours and my husband for 48 hours. My experience of the surgery was poor. Admittedly, it was 1.30 am but all the staff really seemed interested in, was me signing a disclaimer having had an injection for repeated sickness. I was just left with little instruction re medication and wheeled back to my cabin. At 1.30 am you cannot remember how many times you have been ill and they seemed to insist on a number. The nurse, Bernadette, the next day was very abrupt and I really felt, I was just too much trouble. The Receptionist on duty at the surgery in the morning, was, however, helpful. Customer Relations were good but they sent a letter to my husband when his isolation was over to say they hoped he was better after suffering from the flu. The Medical Centre certainly needs to improve. A lot of the food is warm at best and some improvement needs to take place. The Ocean View restaurant is more like a canteen and not a good experience in my view. The staff in the main are excellent and very pleasant. We enjoyed the talks by the Captain and we thought the entertainment director was brilliant. The entertainment was good but could be improved. Certainly, the show re the tea cup was lost on a lot of people, including myself. We enjoyed the excursions but the PA system was not working for Christ Redeemer trip and this was a pity.

Some Good and Bad aspects of this cruise

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by marleneewens

• Sail Date: February 2019
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Veranda

The Medical Centre certainly needs to improve.

marleneewens’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Eclipse price drops

Deluxe Veranda
Cabin 2B 226 floor 8
The cabin was very good. Plenty of storage and a good veranda.
Sunrise Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins