3. Mariner of the Seas
We booked this cruise for the dates. It fit in our budget, and was similar to a cruise we took 2 years ago. The biggest disappointment was the change of ports a few weeks out. The cancellation of Coco Cay was a let-down to my children, who were looking forward to the Cabana we had booked, and to snorkeling around the shipwreck/plane wrecks. The embarkation at the Crown of Miami was outstanding. We showed up around 11 and were on the ship in less than 10 minutes. Multiple lines were open and the new system of delivering cards to the rooms simplifies the process. Using my phone as a sea pass at the bar for the first hour or two was not a problem. We got a spot by the pool, and the kids enjoyed the hot tubs and pools until the rooms were ready. The rooms (we had adjoining interior rooms) were good. We have shared a room in the past, and the deal we got actually made it cheaper to have 2 rooms this time. It was nice having 2 bathrooms and a separate room for the kids, who like to get up a little earlier than we do. We didn't often see the cabin steward(ess), but she did a great job of keeping the room clean and had several towel animals, saving the hanging monkey for the last night. She was also quick in responding to any requests we made. Dining was very good. Our waitress (Yula) was very accommodating and got to know my sons' tastes very quickly, having a plate of kiwi ready on the table by the last night. The food in the main dining room was quite good. I often ordered 2 appetizers, not being able to choose. My 10-year old ordered off of the adult menu, and enjoyed dinner every night. My 8-year old ordered the appetizer off of the adult menu, and the rest off of the kids' menu. His dinner never changed, and the waitress asked if he wanted the same thing by the third night. We always ate breakfast at the Windjammer, which was well-stocked and what you would expect. Among my onboard complaints was dealing with drinks. The ship started running out of mint on the second day of the trip. Certain bars stopped making mojitos. By the end of the third day, there were none being served onboard at all. For a short cruise, I was surprised. We also tried to order a specialty drink on the menu at one of the bars (it may have been a habanero daiquiri) on the first day, and they didn't have the ingredients. The bars often ran out of the stuff for various other daiquiris. Finally, the pop machines were down more than they were up across the entire ship. Most of the machines in the Windjammer were down, one of the 2 machines on deck 5 was down. Our port time in Nassau was very good. The weather co-operated and the water wasn't rough. We didn't do a ship-board excursion, but got a day pass at a local hotel. The whole family really liked it. We are not a big fan of the Grand Bahama port, as it is very industrial. We booked a family beach excursion, and it was tied to several other excursions (including an all-inclusive). There were enough of us that it took several buses to get us all to the beach. The main problem was getting everyone into lines to get on the bus. It seemed very disorganized. Getting back was also fairly disorganized, but this was not the fault of the cruise line. The main problem at the beach club was trying to find a chair. As we were the second ship in port that day, the Carnival passengers were already there when we arrived, and we were the second or third bus, so we got one chair for the 4 of us. After a few hours, the Carnival passengers left (it was a half-day excursion), so we all got chairs for the last hour, and the beach was much less crowded. I will also mention that the loyalty desk was very difficult to find. I finally looked for them on the last day, during the posted hours, but there was nobody at the desk. I was hoping to get my kids an account, as they cruised before, but didn't have the same status as us, but we never got that taken care of onboard. Lastly, I must mention that there was a college party onboard. We heard that there were a thousand college students on the ship. My boys didn't seem to notice too much that anything was different, but the bathing suits were a little smaller than perhaps one might want on a family cruise. There was an upside to the number of college kids on board. On our only sea day, getting a deck chair was easy, even at around 10 in the morning, as most of the college kids were still sleeping. In all honesty, the lines at the pool bars were longer than normal, but other than that, the college parties didn't bother us, though someone bashed into our kids' door at 3am one morning on the way past.

Good cruise with some problems

Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by Euphboy

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Interior

Euphboy’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas price drops

Interior
Cabin 4V 9341
The cabin was good. The storage was ample for what we brought. The bed was comfortable.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Beach
    Lines were disorganized to get on bus. Beach was nice. Kids club was fun for a time for my youngest, but he got bored. Chairs were hard to come by as it was busy. Food was pretty good. People jumped the line on the way back, angering many who had been waiting in line for a while.