3. Norwegian Getaway
We sailed on the Norwegian Getaway because we like Norwegian, and they offered friends and family for the week we could travel. Overall, the cruise was excellent. Embarkation went smoothly and quickly. It only took us about 30 minutes to go through security, check in, and be on board. We visited the Taste restaurant for lunch because we hate the chaos of buffets on embarkation day. The food was good with polite and efficient service. Cabins were not ready by 1:00 as predicted, but it did not matter since we were eating at Taste and relaxed until they gave the all clear for cabins. One issue that we immediately noticed when in the cabin was the lack of outlets. We had only two US outlets, and my husband's bi-pap used one of those outlets at night. There were no USB ports only the two outlets so charging our phones, cameras, electric razor, and tablets was a bit of a challenge because they wanted everything unplugged whenever you left the cabin. Our cabin steward helped us out with this problem, but I recommend having some type of splitter with you unless you have nothing much to charge. We ate in the complimentary restaurants for most of our meals but visited specialty restaurants for 3 nights. The food in both Savor and Taste was good, and we always found something on the menu that we wanted. Servers were polite and helpful, but it still took about 2 hours for dinner. One night we did Cirque, and the food and show were both very good. We had steak and shrimp with a dessert platter that was served before the show. It was delicious. One night we did Teppanyaki and enjoyed everything except the soup. None of use really care for miso soup, but the entrees were good, and our chef was entertaining and very accommodating. Our other specialty restaurant was La Cucina. Service there was excellent, and the food was good especially the shrimp ravioli in lobster sauce. I also had salmon and it was prepared nicely. O'Sheehans was nice for breakfast although the menu is more limited than at Savor or Taste. Entertainment on the Getaway is excellent. The Cirque presentation was well done, and Million Dollar Quartet was especially good. We loved it. My daughter and son-in-law did the Escape room circus mystery, which they said was lots of fun. Howl-at-the-Moon was good the night I saw it, and the Family Circus Workshop was wonderful for our 4 grandchildren. With mini golf, the ropes course, and the water slides, everyone had plenty to do, and just hanging out on the balcony and reading or napping were favorites of my husband and me. We did not do any ship-organized shore excursions opting for a private tour in Roatan, shopping in Costa Maya, and staying on the ship in Cozumel so the little ones had the aqua park to themselves. The private island was a big disappointment for me. Although our grandchildren enjoyed the private island's amenities, I felt everything was rather pricey. We spent as much there as we did on the private tour we booked in Roatan which included visiting with monkeys and sloths, lunch and a nice beach break as part of the tour. If I did this itinerary again, I'd plan for the island differently. I think I would exit the ship later after eating a late morning snack. I'd do 2 or 3 hours on shore and return to ship to avoid purchasing food on the island. We ate as economically as we could, and my husband and I still spent over $35 for lunch. With clam shell rental, which was needed to insure a bit of shade in the hot tropical sun, the day cost us nearly $100. We talked about going back to the ship to save on lunch, but it is a long walk, and my husband can't really do that much walking due to neuropathy in his feet and legs. The complimentary shuttle at the dock helped, but the logistics of going and coming just made it rather difficult to go back and forth. I guess I just feel that Norwegian could make necessities like food and water a bit more reasonably priced since it is their island, and they would be free on the ship. As my title says, overall the cruise was good with great entertainment and decent food. Service was good, and the crew is polite and helpful. The small issues I described did not keep us from having a good time, but they are areas that Norwegian could improve on.

Overall a Great Cruise

Ages Under 3
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MA 11226
Our cabin seemed a bit small for a mini-suite and storage was not as plentiful as on some ships. There was enough for the two of us, but I would imagine that a family of 4 would need to be creative to have enough to store everyone's clothing and gear. The main weakness in the cabin was the lack of outlets--just two for the entire cabin is a bit limited. The bathroom was roomy and very nice with a double sink and a large shower with multiple jets. The location of the cabin is really perfect because it is mid-ship and makes it easy to access any areas of the ship with ease.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins