3. Harmony of the Seas
Hi everyone: I have previously reviewed my cruises on Silverseas, Crystal, Oceania, Regent and Seabourne. This time, we figured “OK, so we won’t eat steak and lobster every night, let’s save some money and try Royal Caribbean.” We were pleasantly surprised. As my title suggests, despite the fact that the ship was full to capacity—well over 6500 people, you would never know it. The ship is so large that you never get the feeling that it is too crowded. Don’t get me wrong: it is crowded, but not in a negative way. And, they did serve lobster tail on one night and sushi grade tuna steaks on another. I usually concentrate on the food on my reviews, so let’s start there. Breakfast is nearly identical to the much more expensive cruise lines. The only differences I noticed were no fresh juices and no pure maple syrup. The Harmony even had fresh salmon, but it was definitely of a lower quality than in the high end ships. Other than those items, the choices for breakfast were identical to Oceania, etc. Lunches were superb as well. True, there were no large shrimp, tuna steaks and lamb chops as can be found on the high end lines, but that aside, the lunch options were not that different. Plentiful salads, pizzas, and enough entrees—chicken, pork, seafood and beef—that you were sure to find one to your liking. Desserts were definitely cheaper than on the pricier cruises but I always found at least one I liked. And the cookies were identical to those on Regent and Oceania. Dinner is where the differences begin to show: while I was always able to find a delicious option, the expensive entrees such as tuna steaks, lobster tails, lamb chops, filet mignon and fresh salmon were not available every night as they are on the more expensive lines. The side dishes were much more limited as well. We seemed to get whatever vegetable and potato the chef felt like serving. There was always a fish of the day. Desserts were good but limited. There was no “tea time”; a highlight in Oceania and Regent. At the bottom of the dinner menu every night there were steak and lobster options for about $30 extra. You could order these every night and still end up paying a fraction of what a high end cruise would cost. The Harmony is a kids friendly ship and there were tons of families with younger kids. The clientele was definitely predominantly “middle America”, FYI. All in all, a good experience. Like Norwegian and other similarly priced cruise lines, RC does charge for everything. This is in contrast to some high end cruises where everything is included. I imagine that the average cruiser had a bill well in excess of $1000 for alcohol, excursions, specialty restaurants, etc. I don’t drink, only went on one excursion and my extras were 350. (The super fast internet was about 170 of that. Yes, you can even stream videos.) My daughter only drank and went on one excursion and her bill was close to 450. You can see that we “hardly spent” and it totaled almost 800$! You can also get a slightly cheaper super fast internet without the streaming option. Our cabin was spacious. Plenty of storage space. Amazing water pressure in the shower. I guess that is what the newer ships give you. Staff was every bit as polite and courteous as on the expensive ships. Large well equipped gym. There is a charge for the sauna and steam room. Surprisingly no spin classes or bikes.

No Issues With 6500 People!

Harmony of the Seas Cruise Review by 76mike

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony
Hi everyone:

There was no “tea time”; a highlight in Oceania and Regent.

Staff was every bit as polite and courteous as on the expensive ships.

76mike’s Full Rating Summary