Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review
2,157 Reviews

Great staff but ship is due for refit

Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by cruisaleers

• Sail Date: Feb 2019
  • Destination: Australia & New Zealand
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Class 3

Chose this cruise because it was hubby’s bucket list trip to go to Australia and I wanted to go to NZ. Solstice is showing her age a bit...things are just looking a little worn...some holes in our cabin drapes, chairs in the public areas are a worn...that type of thing. If you look passed all those types of things then Solstice is still a beautiful ship. Food this time out for me was a bit of a disappointment. Had to send one dinner in the MDR back all together. There was a good mix of choices. They were free with the lobster on the night they served it which hubby was quite happy with. Staff were marvellous, Joaquim our cabin attendant was very good with our request to get the night light in the bathroom fixed and sorting out a different appie plate for us in the afternoon. He was very helpful and pleasant and attentive to all our needs. Martini Bar staff were lovely too. Thank you Alin! MDR staff were wonderful although I gave them such a bad tim*e trying to get them to stop calling me madam...had fun though. Entertainment wasn’t an attraction for us...we previewed the early show after dinner to see if it was something we wanted to see. Over a 16 night sailing I think we only took in maybe 4 shows. There were special ABBA or Queen music nights in Sky Lounge we attended instead. Ports were all good. Excursions for the most part were good. Some narratives were better than others. The Adelaide excursion we went on the commentator sort of stammered and repeated himself. The sound system on the bus wasn’t working right or he wasn’t talking loud enough but half the bus couldn’t hear him. I was quite surprised by the number of people with walking/travelling aides on this cruise. I know I am not a spring chicken but I found it frustrating trying to move freely sometimes because of the number of people with scooters etc. I understand now that the longer the cruise the more chance you have of that happening. So if you are young and want more action.....think on.

cruisaleers's Full Rating Summary

Concierge Class 3
Cabin C3 1063

Cabin good but in need of updating..curtains had a few holes, etc. Otherwise no obstructed views really..on deck 10 that far forward you can see into the bridge. So if you are interested in seeing how they work when you dock. That could be cool.

Auckland

Piha Beach and Rainforest walk along with City Tour in the morning.

Auckland

HOHO bus. Always try and do these in every large city we visit.

Tauranga

Really good tour. Really enjoyed taking part in a Maori greeting ceremony. Good to know that the Maori run the tour and their high school gets money from it to go on tour to the rest of the world.

Napier

3 wineries visited. Awesome views from the Mission Winery.

Picton

Toured on a smaller boat around the inlets and learned of Maori efforts to preserve and restore some of the islands back original animals and vegetation.

Wellington

Long lines. Glad we had an in with the tour to jump the queue. Wonderful views from the top.

Lots of birds and lizards etc to try and see. Another area they are trying restore back to when the Maori arrived vegetation and critter wise. There is a massive fence around the property to keep even the smallest invaders out. Rare species trying to make a come back there...kiwi, etc

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Sydney (Australia)

Included City Tour, cliffs, Bondi Beach and Opera House. Walked to The Rocks after tour. Had a great pub lunch at The Tap Room.

Good stories from tour guides at the site. Good narrative by tour operators. Could have skipped the boat tour around the area...basically going around and stopping and picking up people from each of the islands...nothing really of interest unless I guess you buy a different entrance to the venue. We were on limited time so maybe if we were there longer.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Cleland Wildlife Park

Lots of animals to see. If it is cool enough you can hold a koala. We couldn’t...it was too hot and got hotter. Tour included Mt. Lofty. Great views but not,ugh else unless we missed something

View All 7 Cleland Wildlife Park Reviews
City Tour

Got a city tour of Fremantle and Perth with hotel drop off. Sorry I booked the HOHO bus separately because they pretty much covered a lot of it. If you do this tour and havent got Rottnest booked I would suggest you do that.

cruisaleers