3. Celebrity Edge
Prior to sailing on the Edge, I had sailed on the Celebrity Silhouette. Some of my opinions will be based on the experience between the two ships. PROS: * Staff was great. Went out of their way to make sure we had a great experience. * Food options were plentiful and different restaurant options allowed for a variety of different cuisine options. * Boarding/De-boarding was incredibly fast. CONS: * Not as many bars as I would have imagined. Some were extremely crowded and short staffed (Pool bar ESPECIALLY). Sometimes took in excess of 15-20min to get a drink. * Many features of the ship were very under utilized. The Magic Carpet, while cool, barely had anyone on it. Same goes for Eve, Garden Terrace and other common areas. * Service at the resturants were hit and miss. Some nights we could be in/out in an hour and a half, some nights it took in excess of 3 hours to dine. This ship definitely appeared to be designed for a younger crowd, which for me being in my upper 20s, was a plus. Problem is: My age group represented about 1% of those sailing. One of the larger venues in particular, "The Club", definitely would have been a hit for anyone my age. Most nights that I visited The Club there were a handful of people at best there. The event staff tried hard to give the space a hip vibe, but the people who did end up visiting just didn't grove with that vibe. The Magic Carpet: Again its cool and different. But in reality my group was struggling to understand its purpose. The best we could come up with is that it was additional bar space to make up for the lack of bars on the ship. My group did schedule a dinner on the carpet for one of the nights (outside of standard dining). Both nights it was so windy that in the end they ended up cancelling their reservations. Obviously Celebrity can't control the weather, but other parts of the ship were calm compared to the wind tunnel effect that the carpet had. Infinite Veranda: Cool concept. We did enjoy the room, but didn't feel like it was worth the price hike compared to a normal balcony room. We constantly had to move furniture around just to open/close the veranda doors, which somewhat defeated the purpose. Couple that with the fact that to close the blinds no furniture could be in its path, it ended up feeling like a puzzle to find the perfect spot to position the furniture to close the blinds, and also get the doors to close. Also worth noting: the captain has the authority to close the windows remotely whenever deemed necessary. This happened several times to us due to rain, window cleaning, and the wind. Bars: Most of the bars we visited were nice, but were not as plentiful as the Silhouette. The pool bar was always packed, and as noted above would sometimes take a long time just for a simple drink. Events/Entertainment: This was a tough one for us. The event staff was great and tried their best to give us a good time. A lot of the events again were geared towards a younger crowd, and thats unfortunately where the events went South. My group had a blast, but the older generation which made up the majority of the ship's occupants didn't appear to really associate with it. We overheard a few of the staff members mention that they were struggling due to that. For the first few days we really enjoyed the musicians on the ship. By the end, we felt as though we'd heard the same set list 10x over. Not a negative towards the musicians (they were great), just not enough variety for all of the available venues. We visited a show at Eve during one of our Sea days. The performers were great and put their all into the show. The show itself was not great. By the end of it my group were all wondering what we had just watched or even what the point of it was. Summary: While this ship was very futuristic, I don't plan on sailing on it again. One problem that I feel Celebrity faces going forward is ship design vs demographics that choose to sail their fleet. Again if this ship had more of a younger crowd (20s, 30s, 40s), this would be an ultimate experience based on the ship's design. Knowing most of the people my age group, not many could afford the prices that this ship has for rooms. Hence, thats why I feel it attracted more of an older crowd. I also feel like this ship has a lot of under utilized space. The Club, Garden Terrace, Eve (just to name a few) were awesome spaces and designed really well. Problem was that for the most part people were rarely there, which made for a very empty feeling.

Beautiful ship with some functional issues

Celebrity Edge Cruise Review by CptSneb

• Sail Date: February 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Edge Stateroom with Infinite Veranda

PROS:

* Boarding/De-boarding was incredibly fast.

CONS: