3. Norwegian Breakaway
I chose this as my first cruise primarily because I've always wanted to visit New Orleans, which was the starting port for this cruise. Plus, I've been a student of Maya archaeology since college, and this was my opportunity to see the Yucatan, and visit Maya ruins. I was traveling with an experienced cruise-fan, though we each had our own studios. I loved the studio - just the right size, very convenient, and well designed. The studio lounge was wonderful - always filled with lovely snacks, and the best coffee on the ship. Everything about this cruise exceeded my expectations - from the service and crew to the entertainment, food, and shore excursions. I will definately be back on an NCL cruise next year - already booked it. This cruise is a wonderful balance of days at sea and ports of call. Belize is an incredible country, and I enjoyed getting out in the jungle and seeing a completely different world than that of the cruise port. Costa Maya also provided a wonderful escape from the cruise port, and each site had very different and intriguing Maya ruins to visit. Cozumel was a wonderful introduction to port cities, and I managed to have a great time snorkeling and enjoyed the waters and sights of Cozumel.

Great First Cruise!

elleswann’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Studio Stateroom
Cabin T1
Studio was compact, but complete and well designed. I was very happy with the quality of the finishes. The service was great - room stewards provided excellent service, always with a smile
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Chacchoben Mayan Ruins
    Took the Deluxe tour with Jacome. We were the very first group at the Chacchoben site, and we watched the sun rise over the pyramids. The deluxe tour is the way to go - comfortable, educational, small group and in and out before the crowds take over the site.
    Chaccoben was incredible - amazing experience to climb up to the tomb and temple sites. The size of the city and the quality of the ruins is something very special.
    Jacome was a wonderful guide - answered all of our questions, taught us about the Maya and the specifics of this site. He was a very educational and entertaining guide, and we learned a lot about the Yucatan area in general, and how the Mahahual area is different than other parts. We got to see a lot of changes in climate zones on our drive from the coast inland, and he shared a lot about the history and current challenges of this young part of the country.
    View All 369 Chacchoben Mayan Ruins Reviews
  • Chankanaab National Park Tour
    Urban was our tour leader, and he did a great job of keeping our group organized and moving through the activities at Chankanaab. He led us on a wonderful snorkle, and I felt very safe, even though it had been 13 years since I last snorkeled. The tequila tasting was surprisingly good! This excursion was better organized, and much more fun than I thought it would be!
    View All 229 Chankanaab National Park Tour Reviews
  • Harvest Caye
    Hmmm... I actually took an excursion from Harvest Caye, though it doesn't seem to be an option. I took the Maya Ruins and Spice Tour, and Nate was our guide. It was an easy boat ride from Harvest Caye to the mainland, and then a 1 hour bus ride to Nim Li Punit. Nate spent the bus ride teaching us about Belize - and I have surprisingly retained a lot of his sharing!
    At Nim Li Punit, Carlos was our group guide, and he did a wonderful job sharing about the Stelae and the unique features of this Maya site. It was a very special place, and Carlos did a great job sharing his knowledge and passion for this site. After an informal craf shopping with local artisans (bring cash - this was the best shopping the entire cruise), we drove a short way to the Golden Spice Farm.
    Touring the spice farm was a lot of fun in the trolley's pulled by tractor. The driver and guide worked together to give us smells, and tastes of the spices grown on the farm. It was beautiful, and informative.Great spice shopping, too.
    Nate entertained us on the way back, and got us all from the farm, to the bus, to the boat, and back to Harvest Caye. He did a wonderful job of keeping us entertained and organized!
    View All 1,234 Harvest Caye Cruise Port Reviews