Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by IanD71

• Sail Date: Feb 2019
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Class 3

Very disappointing treatment of someone sustaining a serious injury on the ship due to their negligence. Poor medical treatment. Poor follow up from Guest relations until I conveyed my concerns to them that I felt dismissed. My holiday was ruined for myself and my partner and ship's response was more 'out of sight, out of mind'.

The ship is beautiful, restaurants are good. The ship certainly has style decoratively and never feels overwhelmingly large or oppressive. Delightful cosy corners and cafes can be discovered everywhere around the ship which is generally well appointed for most things you need.

Cellar bar terribly under utlised and such a shame as it's a delightful space.

Packages are worthwhile. However we had a luxury drinks package and there was no Evian water available as this wasn't stocked in error at the port therefore we were only supplied with the usual bottled water. In addition every time I asked for grapefruit juice I was given orange on our cabin breakfast order. I was advised there was none? This was untrue, I discovered different food / beverage outlets don't share, possibly due to their accounting and stock management, none the less it is frustrating.

General treatment of anyone injured in my experience disgusting, of course this has negatively influenced my entire experience which for me was very sad. I now look forward to surgery to repair my hand having returned home. Shame on Celebrity also for not advising passengers when they have a concierge class cabin in the corridor under the cafe that there is noise and obstructed views from the balcony, including poor maintenance and peeling paint onto it.

Of course my cruise was tainted due to the fractures I sustained and a badly bruised bottom, both of which effected and still effect all my activities of daily living. However, I also believe it exposed some huge deficits in their service delivery, professionalism and ability to know how to effectively deal with challenging circumstances. In the words of a guest relations team member "most of the crew are young and inexperienced, they just don't know how to behave" and in the words of the concierge representative "there is a hierarchy on board the ship and you can't just talk to anybody" .

Our dining experiences were good, all food and beverage outlets provided great service and friendly, attentive staff.

Cabin once we relocated was a good size and well provisioned, cabin steward was excellent, Imade thankyou.

I used the gym once prior to my injury and it is well equipped.

Theatre shows were average by comparison to other cruise ships we have been on. Around the ship there was as usual plenty of activities available and something for everyone throughout the day, although almost non existent on port days, which if you remained on the ship could be a bit boring, although there is always the spa.

I had a couple of treatments in the spa and visited the salon for a barber shave and haircut as due to my injury I couldn't shave and needed all my hair cut off. Both experiences were very good.

Rio shore excursions were excellent, the remainder advertised appeared less so. We visited Buzios and Santos also. Shore excursions were well organised however.

Cabin breakfast was generally served incorrectly and / or tepid, also around 20 minutes earlier on average than the time booked (because it suited them to do so I suspect based on the volume of orders, not satisfactory though).

Laundry service was poor, always came back later than should have and we had to chase this up with cabin steward, also items should have been ironed and were apparently but quality was abismal. In fact we had them all done again at the hotel we booked into post cruise. I wouldn't recommend laundry use.

This ship is more crew centric than customer centric, be warned, I wish I had been.

IanD71's Full Rating Summary

Concierge Class 3
Cabin C3 7305

Deck 12 dreadful as there is considerable noise from the cafe and activities above.

Deck 7 which was the deck we were moved to far better.

generally cabins are very accommodating and a good size, well presented and facilitated.

Santos (Sao Paulo)

Shopping arcade and beach, nothing of much interest or significance.

Buzios

We took ourselves into town, beautiful worth a visit, great bars, restaurants and stores, all within easy reach from the shore.

City Tour

Great visit to the classic beaches.

View All 15 City Tour Reviews
Rio de Janeiro

Excellent small group excursion, fantastic city, host and time in each place.

Sugarloaf Mountain

Worth the trip and cable car ride.

View All 17 Sugarloaf Mountain Reviews
Buenos Aires

We stayed pre and post cruise so took many excursions privately and independently.

IanD71