3. Norwegian Sun
In the beginning....emergency drill procedures: all passengers were crammed like sardines outside in the 93 degree sunshine and made to wait 25 minutes extra for late arrivals before starting. Several of us couldn’t make it through that heat with no water and had to stand inside to cool down, several older folks almost passed ou, 1 didt. The food was horrible. The staff were all brand new, inexperienced and untrained. The first day onboard the woman in front of us at the restaurant had an entire glass of ice water spilled down her back. The ship was dirty everywhere. Like they hadn’t washed the outside for a month. My balcony had rust all over the metal, dirt all over the floor. I didn’t want to touch anything without cleaning everything first. The glasses in the main dining room were served to us one chipped, and the other with lipstick still on it. They did not have anyone to spray people’s hands at the buffet doors. The shows were lousy. Every excursion was cancelled the entire week. The private island the ship hit a sand bar, so for everyone’s safety they chose to get unstuck and turn us away from the island. The bar waiters were not attentive. The bar staff were overworked and could not fill drinks for everyone. There were lines everywhere. There was nothing to do that was any fun. There were no good activities to go to that didn’t involve paying more money. NONE of the staff smiled or were happy, and they did not greet anyone, on the way onto the ship or for the entire week onboard. Smokers have been moved to one TINY area with no windows or ventilation. The internet I paid for never worked the whole trip. I tried to contact the hotel director onboard and did not receive a response from him. I just turned Platinum with NCL. They are so focused on rolling out new bigger ships but they are taking the good experienced folks from the older ships and there is no consistency in their “great customer service” policy. After months of waiting for a reply from GUEST RELATIONS, I finally received a form email explaining their policies. I never received a call back to my numerous attempts to actually speak to someone. They never offered me anything in the way of compensation for a horrible cruise and a wasted week. This past February I was on the Star and spoke to all management up to hotel director. Nice people. All of them. They tried to get another message to Guest relations for me, but never received a reply in the 14 day trip.... so I am back at square one. I have a case, I am a Platinum member and they do not care at all what happened or that I wasted over $5000 and a weeks vacation on a very poor trip. I have been told that NCL only reads cruise critic to gauge their failings. I have over 12 phone calls logged, two letters hand written and several emails sent to Guest relations with no satisfaction at all. Oh wait, I do have a case number! 02172327 although it’s apparently not doing me a bit of good. The guest relations coordinator did a very poor job of communicating to me, and never responded after sending me her form letter. Cristina Cuellar never had the courtesy to call me back even once to return all my calls. NCL customer service is awful. I am now thinking after 12 years and so many cruises with them it’s time to find a better brand, if I am paying top dollar, I expect the best! Oh lastly, I was told by an employee on board that although they raised the daily gratuities, the employees are not getting that money. It is going to build their new ships.... REALLY? It is hard not to sound harsh when you have such a terrible experience. I guess I can only be happy that we hit a sandbar and didn’t run into a dock? I did request corporate contact info for CEO office but was not given that information.

After six months still no word from NCL on the worst cruise of a lifetime

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by Stevina

• Sail Date: October 2018
  • Destination: Cuba
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

I just turned Platinum with NCL.

I have been told that NCL only reads cruise critic to gauge their failings.

Stevina’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

Balcony
Cabin BC
Dirty and old. Broken walls, broken shower stall, holes in door and woodwork. No stain on any railings. Rusty metal on balcony, not painted. Stains on floors and balcony. Not well maintained or what I expected from NCL.
(Especially since it had been recently renovated)
Pool Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins