3. Oasis of the Seas
This was my fifth experience cruising and fourth with Royal Carribbean Lines (RC), and was it DIFFERENT. Please ignore any minor vagrancies since I'll try to stay within catagories. I liked the ship. For the number of passengers you really didn't feel nor see these masses, since the ship is compartmentalized into multiple venues and isolated areas. These areas have been well placed and arranged, especially the Central Park theme. The only areas not well planned were the Windjammer (too small for the number of diners - really), and the Promenade (poor ventilation -refer below). The spaces allow solitude and reflection. First, I booked thru my agent and they had to supply me with unprofessional computerized printouts of documents (I could have done better with online booking), blank baggage tags, and a coverfolder from ANOTHER cruise line. RC doesn't provide professional material any more to travel agents!! Also the info I was given by RC to write on the baggage tags was wrong and had to be redone at the pier, after the stevedores made me feel incompetent. Boarding was prompt and impersonal, which was a precursor to the rest of the personal interaction I experienced on the ship, especially in the dining room (Anytime Dining, Chops, and Giovanni's). It seemed as if the crew were being evaluated on expediency vs graciousness. No warmth, just proficiency. Too few wait servers, too many mouths to feed and bodies to move. The captain voiced a real example of this attitude as we crossed the "Bermuda Triangle", "Don't be concerned. We're too large. Nothing can bring us down!" G where were similar attitudes noted in nautical history? Room was satisfactory and comfortable, and the room staff efficient. Great design of shower stalls. I was informed on the 2nd day by an accompanying friend that the TV had personal messages posted. I looked at the TV messages and discovered that my credit card had been denied. Calling the pursor revealed that they only called for this problem after you are over $500.00. I was over $700.00!! No apology and oblivious to the faux pas. Also it is noted that the Pursor computers can not access the Food service charges to correct or view these charges (why?). Do not purchase the Wine Packages since it can only be used in the dining rooms NOT the wine bar (Vintages)nor bars nor Seafood Shack; and is limited to only listed wines NOT premium ? bottles. They need to assign a point system to these packages, so that bottles are awarded certain points and those points are subtracted from your package. I purchased a 12 bottle package ( for a party of 4) and had to give away 2 and over ordered 3 bottles just use it up, because of this limitation. SMOKING IS ALLOWED!!! Reference to poor ventilation above. The bars along the Promenade are hazards and odiferous with ash and burned tobacco smells wafting into the hall. Definitely a BIG TURNOFF to utilize this area. No Sports Bar. They placed the monitors up over a circular bar (smoker area) which obscures by it geometry multiscreen viewing. No snacks at the bars (cheeses, crackers, pretzels, nuts). There was a "trail mix" concoction that was undescribable in taste, and had to be requested NOT offered with your drinks. Best dining room taste, service and atmosphere anywhere on this ship was the Solarium Bistro ($20/person). Second was the Park Cafe with excellent fresh made salads and sandwiches (And BAGS and BAGS of Lay's chips!!!). Giovannis rated at 2/5 (I'm a native New Yorker), with Chops rated 3.5/5. Johnny Rockets hamburger meat has gone down in quality BUT franks (hot dogs) still great. Seafood Shack 2/5, too much breading on fish with fries soft not crispy. The shows were good (Hairspray and the ice show) to spectacular (the water show). TV channels limited and have repetitive programing (2 day cycles on some); scant early-last year movies (The Dark Knight)recycled as above; and edited or ?censored CNN Headline News, no US local or network news. This is the era of satellite transmission with no excuse for the limitations in access to multiple information and stations. And why the editing of CNN? No music channels available (only one MTV like station with contemporary music videos). Crew members kept calling me, "Mr William", my first name!!, though my card had my Surname first, as were the norm. They greeted my travel companions correctly. At sea too long the first 72 hours. And then again another 48 hrs. The above might seem as if I didn't enjoy myself. I did, but would not travel again on this vessel. Impersonal, and expensive extras (unknown reason why they are extras - even cupcakes and good coffee!!!!). Back to Voyager or Freedom of the Seas, unless this is company wide.

The Real World is CHANGING!!

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by Laser_I

At sea too long the first 72 hours. And then again another 48 hrs.
Laser_I’s Full Rating Summary