3. Star Princess
We flew in to Santiago, Chile 3 days prior to embarkation and took an official taxi to Hotel Plaza San Francisco in the historic center of the city. Cost $30 US. The hotel was not busy at the time and allowed us in our room by 11 am. They offered currency exchange of $100 per room per day. A buffet breakfast was included in the rate of $151 US. We also enjoyed a very nice meal in the hotel restaurant on our first evening there. The HOHO bus stop was around the corner, although signs were not visible. We should have gotten a map before leaving the hotel. The bus gave us a good overview, however, the most interesting part of the city in my opinion was right behind the hotel. Santiago has a couple of nice modern malls which are easy to reach by bus or taxi. On Feb. 14/19 the hotel arranged a taxi to take us back to SCL to catch the Princess Transfer (9:30) to the ship in San Antonio, Chile. There was a guide pointing out interesting sites along the way. In 90 minutes we were there. The ship would not be ready to board until 12. A very quick and easy process to board and off to lunch we went in the Portofino dining room. Shortly after, our luggage arrived in our cabin. Muster Drill was around 5pm, followed by an informal meet & greet with roll call members from cruise critic. This was my 3rd cruise on the Star and she is showing her age. My aft balcony cabin was comfortable, but very noisy this time. After cruising on Celebrity, with a sofa bed and Blu dining, I would not select a balcony cabin on Princess for a 14 night cruise, again. This cruise was chosen for its ports. It was so enjoyable to visit the sea lions in the Beagle Channel and the penguins at Volunteer Point with Patrick Watt's group. ( a large savings over the same tour offered by Princess.) I feel that service and quality of food are on a steady decline on the last couple of Princess ships I've sailed on in the past year. We chose to eat in Sabatinis' twice, the Crown Grill once and the Crab Shack once. Service and food in all 3 were excellent. The 3 excursions we took with Princess were well done, except for the tedious amount of time it took waiting in the lounge before the tours. For the city tour/disembarkation in Buenos Aires our luggage was taken directly from our hallway and we did not see it again until we were dropped off at SCL. Princess delivered a good product for the price we paid.

Around the Horn-San Antonio to Buenos Aires

dog’s Full Rating Summary
Get Star Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BD C743
aft balcony-twin beds, small bathroom, desk, 2 chairs, small table. 2 night stands with plugs to charge cell phone, large screen tv, mini refrigerator. balcony had 2 chairs, 2 foot rests and small table. balcony was a bit larger then most. cabin stewart did an excellent job.
Baja Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins