3. Norwegian Getaway
Having sailed on NCL before, I had no reservations about choosing this line again. The Getaway is a huge ship. Therefore, embarkation is a rather long adventure. The ship is beautiful, and I would say that nearly half the guests we spoke with had been on her before. We found the staff to be cheerful and helpful at every turn. We had a few breakfasts and most of our dinners in the included restaurants. The Tropicana was our favorite, because of the live music and the overall decor. Our service was outstanding, and the food was really, really excellent. I had read reviews which said otherwise, but they were wrong. The soups were exquisite, and we tried them all! If I asked for salmon on the well done side, I received salmon on the well done side. We are in the restaurant business, and I would give the food and food service on this ship 5 stars. Our mini suite was comfortable, and the bathroom was the largest we have had on a cruise ship. The balcony was small. That didn't keep me from enjoying morning coffee on it, or watching the sunset over the sea. We saw most of the shows and highly recommend the following: The Million Dollar Quartet (make a reservation and don't miss this!), Burn the Floor, and the Comedy Shows, both comedians. The Cirque show is mind blowing. We purchased floor seating, and I would not pay the extra for it again. The regular seating was three feet behind us (booths) and I think that they were more comfortable and could see just as well. The Atrium entertainment is OK. Mostly things to have you spend more money. Disembarkation was smooth. We enjoyed the ports, especially Belize (gorgeous, and the Monkey River Tour is something you will talk about for a long time to come). Costa Maya had 3 jumbo ships in port and it was very crowded and just an island shopping mall. We probably should have planned a tour for that day. Cozumel is beautiful. We did the Dolphin Encounter. We loved the Dolphins, but the $15 charge for a locker was a rip off. Harvest Caye was an eye opener. Honduras is a poverty country, and I hope that you will choose to spend a few bucks when these people approach you with their trinkets, Consider what you have been blessed with, and help them out with a non haggled purchase of something. I spoke with a friend who visited the National Park in Cozumel and it sounded like an wonderful way to spend the day. I mean, once you have seen one diamond shop, you have seen the other 25 of them! Get away from the Mall in Cozumel is what I am saying. I remember that port when it was new, and the town was right there, and you could visit the church and have a meal on the beach with people who spoke no English. It has changed, and not for the better. This ship is huge, and requires a lot of walking. In one week there were parts of the ship that we still had not discovered. The adult pool is small and crowded. The staff was wonderful. The food was wonderful. The Casino was tight, but large and entertaining. Having said all of this, I must admit that I prefer a ship not so large. My next cruise will be on a large ship, but not a gigantic ship like the Getaway. If you have kids, this ship is probably a fabulous choice for you. Safe travels my friend!

The pros and cons of megaships

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by Grandie1313

• Sail Date: February 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

Grandie1313’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MA 11184
large enough, spic and span clean, large bathroom, very small balcony, plenty of cupboard and storage space, great location
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Dolphin Swim & Encounter
    This was a once in a lifetime experience to get up close and personal with a dolphin. The facility was beautiful and very clean, and the staff was friendly. The $15 charge for a locker was a rip off. The Dolphin encounter was marvelous, and we were not rushed at all. We learned a lot and loved it. Tip: wear water shoes. You will be standing on uneven rocks and sharp coral when you enter the pool. Without shoes, your feet will hurt. And, they must be water shoes (I wore my Teva Hiking sandals, my husband was barefoot and barely able to walk on the sharp bottom). The included food was OK, good enough. The drinks were good also. We thought that there would be a beach area to enjoy, but there is not. The snorkeling area is small, and best suited for children. Cozumel is overcrowded. The shopping mall is huge, so if you are still interested in buying diamonds, you will be happy there. Otherwise, you will wish that you were somewhere else. One of our friends went to the National Park (I don't remember seeing it on the excursion list, but I think I quit looking once we saw the Dolphin Encounter), and she loved it. It is much cheaper, and it seemed to be a great excursion. She did not go through the Cruise Line tour, but secured her own transportation. Several years back we took the Teluum tour, and it remains one of our all time favorite tours. If you choose it, take the time to visit the caves at the shoreline.
    View All 415 Dolphin Swim & Encounter Reviews
  • Harvest Caye
    This port is gorgeous and was our favorite! It is close to paradise here. We chose the Monkey River Tour, and it was excellent! You may get wet on the boat ride over to the mainland, but you will enjoy the thrilling trip and dry off in 5 minutes, so no worries. The guides were excellent, and they worked very hard to make our trip exciting. We learned so much about the flora and fauna. We departed the boat for a walk through the jungle, where we saw tarantulas, and Holler Monkeys (sp?). We saw a crocodile from the boat, as well as many beautiful exotic birds. We loved this tour. Tip: book an early tour so that you can return to the island and enjoy a swim in the sea or in the huge wandering pool. There are many chairs available, and this port was not crowded. It was by far the most beautiful and relaxing port we visited. And, no cruise is complete until you have enjoyed a cool colorful beverage from the swim up bar. Ahhhhh....this is island living!
    View All 1,143 Harvest Caye Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Harvest Caye Cruise Port Review
  • Gumbalina Park
    Lots of fun here! Learned a lot. The ride takes you across the island, and you experience the poverty that exists here. The park is clean and lovely. Wear a swimsuit and enjoy the beautiful beach here after your tour. Buy something from the locals (you will fell good helping them and then they will tend to leave you to enjoy the beauty of the sea). Our tour guide was excellent.
    View All 162 Gumbalina Park Reviews