3. Norwegian Spirit
Our ship was infected with norovirus. Not necessarily the cruise line's fault, could have been crew or passengers spreading the virus. They constantly were on the intercom system, appealing to the greater good to contact the health center with any medical concerns to stop the spread of the virus. My husband came down with what we thought was a case of food poisoning. We reported it just in case we were wrong and it was the norovirus. He was not tested, I was not tested, we were just immediate quarantined to our rooms. No appeal, no one would listen. A nurse came by the first night. He never had a fever and was already recovering--suggesting it was a simple case of food poisining. He and I were both quarantined even though I showed absolutely no sign of sickness. I never did. It didn't matter to them, they simply would quarantine everyone, without a test--which they should have available, they just chose not to administer. Not only was I quarantined to the room, I only had access to sick people food--broth, crackers, juice and some horrible dried out chicken and rice. This was my available food for two whole days. I was not sick! It's lucky I had brought granola bars on board, its what I survived on. My card was tagged so I could not go to a restaruant or even buy a drink. No one had even told us that I was quarantined as well, I found out as I was trying to get off the ship for an excursion. Alarms actually went off and they treated me like some sort of criminal. The worst part, of course, is that we missed two destinations in the Canary Islands, somewhere I had never been. My husband obviously would have missed one day due to illness, but we both missed both ports. Me, for no reason whatsoever. I honestly didn't realize that cruise lines were basically God while you are on the ship. They can make you a prisoner with no recourse. I lodged a complain with Norweigian, not even requesting a refund, since that would have been a pittance of a 10 day cruise anyway. Just looking for some remorse, or goodwill, or consideration of changing their policy. But I got a very prickily worded "not our problem" type of response. I'm not a huge fan of Norwegian anyway, I think they offef good affordibility, but quality suffers compared to other nice cruise lines. The itineary they offered on this trip was fantastic, but not so fantastic when you strip off two ports. The moral of my story: Don't be honest with Norwegian Cruise lines. If you are sick, you have an ethical responsibility to stay away from other people. But if you are just feeling bad, quarantine yourself and wait until you are very sure that you have a virus before contacting them. And warn your bunkmate that they will be quarantined as well. Bring your own medicine so you don't need to rely on them until you are really sick. Or better yet, pick a better cruise line.

Norwegian essentially held me prisoner in my room for two days. Why? Honesty

Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by AnnapolisGirl

• Sail Date: January 2019
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Large Oceanview Picture Window

AnnapolisGirl’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Spirit price drops

Large Oceanview Picture Window
Cabin O3
It was ok, but nothing special
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins