Azamara Journey Cruise Review

Azamara Journey Cruise Review by maestromuffin

• Sail Date: Feb 2019
  • Destination: Cuba
  • Cabin Type: Club Veranda Stateroom

This was my 8th overall cruise, and I chose this trip for the amazing immersive itinerary of Cuba. From the moment I stepped on the Journey, I appreciated the calming decor. It was so great to be on a ship of only 600 - you really got to know your fellow passengers...especially if you're an outgoing guy like me.

We ate almost every meal at the discoveries restaurant and were VERY pleased with the quality, presentation, and taste of the food. I've been avoiding red meat recently, and they always had at least two fish choices(other than salmon)! i asked for freshly steamed broccoli and they always delivered on any request that I had.

The entertainment wasn't extensive - but we did enjoy both shows by our cruise director...the VERY tall and lovely Eric!

Please, please, please...book private tours of cuba! Do not take the cruise's excursions. they tell you that it is difficult when you get to cuba and that you can't get off the ship if you don't have a tour booked...NOT TRUE!!! All three of our private tours were AMAZING...private air-conditioned cars from the 50's. Do your research on TripAdvisor - and book with confidence!

maestromuffin's Full Rating Summary

Club Veranda Stateroom
Cabin V2 6087

standard but clean cabin with plenty of storage space. Bathroom was quite small.

Havana

Havana was amazing - you have to hurry and see it before it gets too modern. we had two full days of touring with the dashing Gabriel of Cuban Connections tours(find them on trip advisor). whatever I say, it won't come close to seeing it for yourself. do your research, and tell your guide where you want to go - they will make it happen! Loved the National hotel. even went to the fine arts museum.

Cienfuegos

Cienfuegos was a nice small town with a vibrant downtown area. we again had a private tour, and were driven to colonial Trinidad. Trinidad is charming, but small - so don't waste your time on a cruise tour...get a private one for less money! we used Viajes Vintage(also found on trip advisor).

Santiago de Cuba

we were so pleasantly surprised buy Cub's second largest city. we got there at 5:00 and we walked right off the ship and took a walk around the main square and pedestrian shopping street. the next day we chose Shago tours(trip advisor) - and the lovely Fabio took us everywhere. The highlight was the cemetery where Castro is buried. they had the most AMAZING changing of the guards(every half and hour). Highly recommended!

maestromuffin