3. Adventure of the Seas
We vacationed on Adventure of the Seas as part of a Make A Wish experience and what an experience we had. The crew and the ship were nothing short of fantastic. My wife and I had been fortunate enough to go on 4 previous cruises and never had brought our 3 children. We are so happy that we were able to and that our kids were able to experience the Caribbean. Our handicapped son was also able to get around quite easily in his wheelchair and that was a relief. My wife had a handicapped accessible room (1814) and it met any requirement that was needed. Our 2 other children aged 10 and 12 had an absolute blast. They wore out the mini golf course on sea days and got to experience the huge waterslide and Flowrider as well. We were a bit worried they would be bored and they were far from that. There were always activities for them to do and they were very comfortable moving around the ship and going where they wanted to go. DINING - My wife typically took our two youngest to the Sapphire Restaurant for sit down dining and they raved about the experience. The food was quite good and the portions were perfect sized. I usually went to the Windjammer buffet area with our oldest, handicapped son (15) and it was very easy to navigate with him in his wheelchair. The food was great. I have absolutely zero complaints about it. Selection was great. If you are a Curry fan then you will be happy. Dessert selection looked great. Breakfast was awesome as well and make sure to get a Bloody Mary or Screwdriver from Howie as you enter the restaurant. He gets there around 7:30 am ENTERTAINMENT - We enjoyed a show at the ice rink and it was quite good as well. The skating was good and my oldest enjoys a lot of visual lights and there was plenty of that. The magician and other theater shows were well done as well and the children enjoyed them a lot and talked about them repeatedly. Highly recommend the ice show. SERVICE - Traveling with a handicapped son, SERVICE is very important to us. The Adventure of the Seas had tremendous service and the entire staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating with him. Again, there is nothing to complain about with the service. The Sky Bar staff is awesome as are the staff in all of the dining areas. PORTS.... GRAND CAYMAN - This was our first port and we were very excited to visit it. My wife and I had not been to Western Caribbean on previous cruises so this was on our bucket list. We did the Stingray Excursion and it was worth it. The only drawback was that the water was a little choppy and the crew of the excursion indicated it was not normal to have seas that choppy. That is being a little nit picky to complain about that. The excursion itself is pretty awesome. My family enjoyed it and it is quite an experience to be holding stingrays. The waves did make it difficult to get on the excursion boat though. By the end of it there were close to 50-100 swimming around and it was worth it. The port itself/town of Georgetown is really clean and nice. If shopping is your thing this is the place to go. It is a very busy place and people need to remember that. We ate a place called PARADISE and it was awesome. It sat on the water and the staff were awesome with our kids. Order the Conch salad or chowder. Super delicious. Another tidbit is you can snorkel right off the pier/main road of town. It is free and there were large fish swimming right there. Unfortunately we were too tired after lunch and did not, but there were 15-20 people and it is a big area. I wish we would have done that. COSTA MAYA- This port is designed for cruisers. It has a lot of shops. We ate lunch at a Taco Stand and it was good. Everything there is a little overpriced though. Keep that in mind. Apparently if you get out of the port there are some good excursions, but none of them were real great for a handicapped child. If it was just us as a couple, we definitely would have done an excursion. We spent a couple hours at the lazy river pool and ordered a couple "La Yardas" while the kids were in the lazy river and relaxed. Weather was great. We had no problem finding chairs or place to sit. The dolphin pool was fun to watch and sneak a couple of pictures if you can. Also, watch the "Birdmen" show. Definitely worth the time to do it. COZUMEL - This was our favorite port by far. We were there on a day that there were only 3 cruise ships total and the locals were saying it was common to get 6-9 ships on a given day. The terminal area is fun with shops, restaurants, etc.... One could literally spend the entire day just at that area, but I would not recommend that. We went to the main shopping area to grab souvenirs and ate at PANCHO's. Souvenirs at the main shopping area were a third of the price as in Costa Maya and seemed way, way more authentic. At PANCHO's we had a waiter named Mario that was extremely friendly. We sampled just about everything on the menu it seemed like and it was great. They had a couple playing music and they let my daughter join them. Definitely get Guacamole and a Margarita here. Top notch stuff. Our waiter told us to go to Playa Azul to snorkel. It is a quick cab ride up the road. He mentioned that they would just want us to order a drink or an appetizer and all would be good. It is a very small beach and it is attached to a couple condo buildings and it was perfect. We had no problem finding beach chairs and there is plenty of shade and covered area. There is also a long dock/pier with a ladder to get in the water. You are also able to use the pool area if need be. Very quiet place and cannot thank Mario enough for recommending. It was perfect for our family and our handicapped son sat in the shallow water and loved every second of it. HIGHLY recommend going to PLAYA AZUL. A taxi driver indicated to us that some of the main beaches/parks charge $20 per person to get be able to utilize the beach. We were not going to spend $100 and were so lucky we found PLAYA AZUL. This was our favorite day of the trip and the kids loved it.

Great Cruise and Wonderful Family Experience

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by nowhook18

PORTS....

nowhook18’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

Cabin was great. Room attendant was fantastic and room was always clean. We were on the 12th floor and had Panoramic windows. Really awesome views. No complaints.
  Adventure of the Seas Deck Plans

• Costa Maya
    We did not do an excursion so we only experienced the cruise port/terminal. It was very nice and clean and there were plenty of things to do. Kids enjoyed the lazy river pool. Prices on souvenirs and food/drink are crazy overpriced. Double or triple the costs of every other port. Keep that in mind.
    View All 2,496 Costa Maya Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Costa Maya Cruise Port Review
  • Cozumel
    I would rate COZUMEL more than a 5 if I could. Eat at Pancho's and go to Playa Azul which does not charge you an admission fee of any sort. Beer prices are cheap and food is delicious at PANCHO's. Get a margarita.

The cruise terminal area is busy, but there is a lot to do. I recommend going to the main shopping area and walking around. Lot of fun. Talk to the locals. They speak English really well.

Beautiful, beautiful place. LOVE COZUMEL
    View All 6,660 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cozumel Cruise Port Review
  • Stingray Swim
    We did the Deluxe Stingray City with Royal Caribbean. Great experience. Waves were a little choppy and that hindered our handicapped son, but our 2 others loved it. HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Stingray tour
    View All 721 Stingray Swim Reviews