3. Norwegian Star
Overall, I found the Star to be okay. I recently sailed the Jade (Panama Canal, Miami round-trip) and have favorites on both boats and wish the two would combine to make my dream ship! My favorite area in the morning was on Deck 12, Spice H2O (adults only, though apparently one couple couldn't read and their daughter was found often in there) -- but during the day it was hard to find a comfy seat in there (mostly due to seat saving). This ship could use two pools (one preferable adult only), but only has one. I do like the tiered deck, however. We could usually find a seat in the pool area in the afternoon, which is when we preferred to swim anyway. It seemed like there were plenty of hot tubs to go around, but since it was so warm on most of our trip we didn't really take advantage of those. We had an inside cabin on Deck 8, space and organization was completely adequate for two adults. Our room steward was amazing! I was disappointed in the entertainment aboard the ship, after being on the Jade and seeing their amazing cast in action, the Star fell short. There were few shows by the cast and they were okay. One comedian was awful, and while I love Julie Barr, her routine was the exact same as the month before on the Jade (probably not an issue for most people). The aerialists were amazing and we actually got to meet them in the Cafe one day, great people. The magician was actually quite good (they usually leave something to be desired). The hypnotist was good on his first round (apparently the 7:30 show was amazing, the 9:30 show was okay) but his second show was cancelled. And the singer was pretty good, but again, didn't need a second show of that. The other music on the boat was okay, nothing special. Le Bistro was our favorite restaurant (but costs extra) followed closely by meals at Versailles. Service in Aqua was okay, but Vipin was amazing! My friends traveled with their children and we found the club hours to be short and at odd times, especially the teen club (we had a young teen with us, not really able to be on his own for extended periods of time like older teens). The trip itself was amazing! The Panama Canal was fantastic, as we went through the canal the staff went above and beyond, setting out tables with water and even opening the Deck 8 crew only area for viewing. Ports: Colombia: We took the catamaran to Old Town and toured around ourselves. Costa Rica: Hanging Bridges -- it was decent, not enough time actually on the bridges for my liking, but it was a good experience. Guatemala: Antigua on our Own -- amazing, but just not enough time to see it all! Nicaragua: Live the Traditions -- a nice trip, but our guide said it was too hot to spend much time in the city, so we didn't, so that was disappointing. Acapulco: Baby Sea Turtle Release -- once in a lifetime opportunity if you are into that, the sea turtles had hatched that morning and were in the ocean by 11am. It's a short excursion, leaving time to explore Acapulco a bit. They seem to take safety quite seriously there, as I walked out of port a government guide approached me -- I was just going for a walk to the beach, but he kept telling me about the markets and other stuff, I was alone, so wasn't going anywhere by myself with someone else. Cabo: Adults Only Inclusive Beach Resort -- highly recommended and really wish we had the day to enjoy this one, would gladly give up half a day in Acapulco to have a full day in Cabo!

14 Day Panama Canal, Miami to LA, February/March 2019

Norwegian Star Cruise Review by ermcneill

The other music on the boat was okay, nothing special.

Ports:

Colombia: We took the catamaran to Old Town and toured around ourselves.

ermcneill’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Star price drops

Inside
Cabin IX 8091
We booked inside cabins and got upgraded a bit to a higher class inside cabin from what we could tell. Plenty of space for both of us, adequate storage. We liked the floor plan, we felt it gave us a bit more room than our friend's cabin with a different layout.
Deck 4 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins