3. Norwegian Breakaway
For the amount of money we paid for this cruise I expected a higher level of service from the staff and more attention to detail. The private Haven area left a whole lot to be desired. The private pool area is a joke, the pool was the size of a plunge pool two people in it would have been too many Also while you're in that Haven pool area there's also dining in that area so while you're trying to enjoy time in the pool or the hot tub you have people trying to enjoy lunch or breakfast staring at you. The area where you can tan in the Haven section is so windy you can barely stay out there, as a matter of fact they actually closed that area one of the days that we were at sea. So you pay all this extra money to have extra services and private areas that you can enjoy and they put them in an area on the ship where you cannot enjoy them at all. That pool area that I was telling you about is inside a Atrium so it's not exposed to the Sun it's only indoors which was not communicated prior to my trip. I have to say the food on the ship was only ok. Not bad but nothing to rave about either. One of the reasons chose Norwegian because I thought that there would be a higher level of food quality on the ship. My husband and I are Foodies. We love good food so we opted to buy the meal packages and do the private dining on the ship where you pay extra. We purchased six meals a piece to be used during dinner. A few of the restaurants were pretty good Cagney's, Le Bistro, were very nice, and had great ambiance. We absolutely loved the Tempenyaki place, we actually ended up going there twice. However on the last night of our cruise even though we bought the dining package we paid extra and went to Ocean Blue. The appetizers were phenomenal but we got lobster dishes for our main course and both my husband and I had cold food, and the lobster was overcooked and actually tasted funny. Neither of us ate the lobster which we paid extra for. In the Haven area I think we were told No more then we were told yes. The private Haven dining room one day was only open till 9:30 for breakfast and we arrive there at 9:31 and got told no we had to go somewhere else because it was closed. Even though there were multiple other people already in the dining room that had not yet received their breakfast and some still had menus. It was disappointing to me, we are a Haven member we paid extra to be in that area and to get turned away for one minute? We had a butler for our room which we barely saw as a matter of fact on the last day when they were giving us our disembarkation information our Butler looked at us with a random strange look on his face because he didn't even recognize my husband. The concierge was supposed to book me excursions, I requested this at about 8:30 in the morning and there were spots still available on the NCL app on my phone, since I had a concierge I asked him to do it for me and did NOT do it so we did not get our Excursion. Instead I got a call at about 7:30 p.m. telling me he's sorry but there were no more spots available when he called. If I would have known that he would not have done it right when I asked I would have just booked it on the NCL at myself and would have been able to have my Excursion. Very disappointed. The overall vibe on the ship from the people that were in a service position, bartenders wait staff, hostess was not one of custimer service. They did not seem care about service. What it seemed like to me is that they knew they were already getting their prepaid gratuities and they just didn't care. The level of service really was so far down below what I expected that it was shocking. I remember one morning in the Haven breakfast area we ordered our breakfast and never once saw our waitress again, somebody different brought our breakfast and never once had anyone check up on me ask me for a refill....just nothing. However the ship itself is absolutely beautiful. There is a lot to do during the course of the day. Multiple activities, bars, restaurants, the casion, art shows, wine tasting. In fact we went to every wine tasting that they had. Chris V. the head sommelier and his wine tasting classes were fantastic! There is a fee for the wine tasting classes but in my opinion they are worth it. They also have a Smirnoff Ice Bar for an additional fee and that was pretty cool as well. I have to say the thing we probably enjoyed the most on this trip or the art auctions. It was fantastic to see all the new and cool artists and we didn't just see art but they taught us about the art as well. There were videos and commentary talking about the artists where their inspiration came from, how they do what they do. It was really the highlight of our trip. Shani H. The Art Gallery Manager was phenomenal. She was patient and attentive to both my husband and I throughout the week and because of her we ended up coming home with quite a few pieces of art. Honestly overall this trip was a decent trip. I think if I didn't pay for the Haven area and been disappointed by the lack of service in the Haven area and the fact that there really wasn't a pool or sunbathing area I probably would have enjoyed the trip better. My disappointment really does come from spending a lot of money for the Haven area and not getting what I thought we would be getting. I do have to say though the best thing that the Haven gives you is you're able to get to the front of the line when boarding the ship, also there's a separate gangway for you to exit the ship at ports and re-enter and then at the end when you are disembarking the Haven area customers get to the front of the line as well. So in reality that kind of pays for the Haven in itself because waiting in lines on cruise ships is absolutely miserable.

Paid too much for low quality service

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Skiser3

• Sail Date: February 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: The Haven Forward-Facing Penthouse with Balcony

Skiser3’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

The Haven Forward-Facing Penthouse with Balcony
Cabin H7 9706
The cabin itself was pretty nice however the large window that we had in the bedroom unfortunately when I opened the blinds it opens up to the employee smoking section! I had about 20 to 30 people looking up at me so unfortunately we kept that window closed the entire time which was disappointing. Also our balcony was incredibly small barely two chairs could fit out there.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins